mouse plague?

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: mouse plague?

Postby jez_au » Sat 20 Aug, 2011 9:48 am

Hey Waggy, you are aware of the wildfires around Alice over the past ten days or so? The Larapinta Trail has now been closed from sections 1 to 6 (Alice to Ellery Creek). A fire at Hugh Gorge is still going, further east the fires around Simpsons and Standley are out. The trail is being assessed and may reopen mid next week, and may not. Watch here for details: http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/walks/larapinta/currentconditions.html (it is quickly updated when status changes)

I'm flying today to walk sections 6 to 1 from Ellery Creek back to Alice. Obviously we cant do that now. I have already walked sections 12 to 7 last year, so Plan B I have a few ideas, Mt Giles and some. Natural events always make walk plans interesting.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby waggy » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 8:43 am

Dang, thank you jez-au, does throw a bit of a spanner in the plans. ill give em a call and reassess from there. cheers
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Dale » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 9:19 am

I did some ringing around on the weekend to finalise my trip. Originally was looking at Standley Chasm to Alice, however this is the area that was affected by the fire and closed, although parts were re-opened Sunday. So I decided to look at six days at the Western end of the Larapinta and have a night or so at Glen Helen Resort. After making inquiries for transport and such, I heard several reports of spot fires on the west of the track as well. These could turn nasty if there are high winds, due to the increase in growth from the heavy rainfalls from last wet season. Anyways... I've decided to kick this trip into next year as I don't fancy watching my back on a 6 day solo hike, hoping the flames stay away. Oh well bright side is all the planning's done, now to figure out another place to go. Decisions, decisions...
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 7:46 pm

Jatbula? Very different sort of walk, but good.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Dale » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi NNW. Good suggestion - Jatbula looks like a great walk. IIRC the Rangers don't allow you to walk solo ? If I did this by Sept end then it would just be me.
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 8:59 pm

I did it solo, but that was a fair few years ago. I really couldn't say what the current rules are.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rogo » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 10:25 pm

I did Jutbula in July and as far as I know there are no rules about soloing. They ask solos to call in at each checkpoint, that is all. But when I walked it there was the 10 people walking and you tend to stay each night at the same areas roughly anyway. It an easy walk and the water at each day's end was just fab.

Ro
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dale » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks Rogo ! I'm sure I read somewhere no soloing for this track. Although my memory not's the most reliable... I hide my own Easter Eggs these days... :lol:
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jez_au » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Dale, I did the Jatbula in August of last year solo, they request you use the emergency radios each day to check-in. With only 10 people on the trail you need to book early. Walk in the mornings, relax by creeks, waterfalls and rockholes in the arvos, it's not so much about the walking as it is the waterside campsites! Beautiful walk.

I'm at Glen Helen now, like we discussed before I was going to do the eastern end of the Larapinta. You're right, sections 1 to 3 have reopened, 4-6 closed. Have just come back from walking out to Mt Zeil and back, plenty of old wild fire sites, but nothing recent. Not seen any smoke on the horizon anywhere. Going to head over to Ormiston Gorge tomorrow and do Mt Giles and Bowmans Gap as a 2-night 3-day circuit.

J
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Dale » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 1:30 pm

Good luck with the walk Jeremy and hopefully the spot fires stay that way :D
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rogo » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 7:09 pm

Dale- can I suggest you call the Nitmiluk Park and see if they have any cancelations. Two people who started with me booked only days before due to a cancelation. Also and don't quote me on this, but you could turn up to the start and see if everyone who has booked turns up, I think if they haven't turned up by 1pm then the track is closed for the day. It's only 8kms to the first camping spot so you could easily make it. The track is very well marked. You might have to forgo the northern rock hole swim, but there are many more fab places to swim.

It is a bit of palaver getting transport organised esp at the end but if you figure that part out i say go for it.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory