Cape Jervis start: Chickened out. Squark!

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape Jervis start: Chickened out. Squark!

Postby photohiker » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 1:59 pm

I have been planning to spend this week on the start of the Heysen trail for a few months now. The weather forecast up until last night was predicting a bit of rain and windy times on Monday followed by showers for most of the week (fine by me), but that rapidly changed late last night to a prediction of gale force winds, hail and thunderstorms along the southern coasts through Tuesday.

So, even though I was at Cape Jervis, I've backed out. Last thing I want to be doing is walking along the clifftops in high winds. I'm going to try to make some time in August to have another go.

:(
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Cape Jervis start: Chickened out. Squark!

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 2:22 pm

Bad luck, funny how these things often align just wrong. You probably made the right decision, being close to the coast you would get hammered with more wind and rain than in town.

Walking inland could be a better bet? and if you are all ready to go, maybe jump in the car and walk some of the Heysen in the Southern Flinders or somewhere a bit more sheltered?
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby jez_au » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 4:40 pm

oh no! Yes a Severe Weather Warning was issued at lunchtime today for the Adelaide Hills and Fleurieu Peninsula (and other coastal areas). How dissapointing for you though with all the planning you've done. Why not consider heading inland like Maelgwn says, you're all set anyway. You might need to delay for a day to plan stuff maybe? Bugger.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby photohiker » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:26 pm

I thought about it, just got back from a walk around the hills near home. It's pretty wild even here...

BOM wrote:SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for locally DESTRUCTIVE WINDS

For people in the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges, Lower Eyre Peninsula, Eastern Eyre Peninsula, Yorke Peninsula, Kangaroo Island, Mid North, Riverland, Murraylands, Upper South East, Lower South East and parts of the West Coast and Flinders districts.

Issued at 4:09 pm Monday, 20 June 2011.

A significant cold front is moving across the Bight and is expected to reach the Lower Eyre Peninsula and Kangaroo Island early this evening and sweep northeastwards across central and eastern SA tonight. The front is expected to affect Adelaide during the late evening.

Northwesterly winds ahead of the front are expected to increase further, with gusts in excess of 90 km/h, particularly near the coast and over higher ground.

Locally destructive wind gusts in excess of 120 km/h are also possible, mainly near the front and with squally showers and thunderstorms.

KI Ferry was cancelled this morning too. Not just effecting the Flurieu, just about the whole state!

Looking at the national radar loop, I reckon It'd be Wednesday start, so only a couple of nights out before I need to be back - and it looks like more weather following this lot... On the bright side, this probably means a good dump of snow in the Vic Alpine area. :)

Bottom line: I can bank the time and take it out again later. This escapade has only cost me a day and a few bucks in fares/petrol. All the planning is done, I'm ready to go whenever I get the chance and the weather is playing nice.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:32 pm

It's blowing a gale over most of SE Australia right now. Definitely a good time to go back to work (or bed) and wait it out.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory