walks near Alice

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

walks near Alice

Postby roshall » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 10:31 am

Hi I'll be based in Alice for the next 5 weeks and trying to find out about lesser well known walks. I've done the Larapinta,Ormison pound and Mt Ziel ones already .I'm especially interested in overnight walks and the Eastren Macdonald and James ranges. My road access is some what limited as my 4wd mitsubishi van doesn't have high clearance.Thanks Ros
roshall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: walks near Alice

Postby trickos » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 4:29 pm

I seem to remember an overnight walk in the Kings Canyon area.
The Giles track connects Kings Canyon and Kathleen Springs through the Ernest Giles Range. It is mostly along the ridge line of the rocky range - hence great views westward out toward Lake Amadeus.
It's not a very well used walk due to its remoteness.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/find/p ... tarrka.pdf
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby roshall » Tue 12 Jul, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks ,forgot to say I've been there before too....I've since managed to get in touch with some local bushwalkers and have some more walks to do in the east and west macs.
Ros
roshall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trickos » Wed 13 Jul, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd be interested to know what you find out about overnight walks in the East Mac's?
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby vagrom » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 3:22 am

Wild Magazine did piece by a walker in a recent edition ; could be close to a year ago. They did a part of the Range, alternative to the Larapinta Trail. Includes a small map. A track, over a few days, north of the Larapinta that leaves and later rejoins it at one of the main Gaps, I think. It travels along a seperate range, I think.

If you Google "Wild Magazine Chewings Range", (Wild March-April 2010), a two week walk though, departing from Hugh Gorge. By Glenn Tempest and Open Spaces Publishing. Six page account; might indicate some interesting spots.

You might try to lay hands on Denis O'Byrne's A Travellers Guide to Central Australia (1981)
Last edited by vagrom on Mon 18 Jul, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby roshall » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks folks.The wild mag article sounds perfect as Hugh gorge is one of my detinations for a base camp.Unfortunately it's out on loan from the Alice library.I'll be heading off in a couple of days ,coming and going over the next few weeks so I appoligise in advance for slow replies to any posts.I'll send you a private email trikos when back (it's off track ) I have one walk in the east macs and 3 in the west planned . Ros
roshall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory