Cape Jervis to Victor Harbour

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape Jervis to Victor Harbour

Postby cleegus » Sat 03 Dec, 2011 8:55 am

Hey Everyone,

New to Australia, and new to bushwalk.com. I'm originally from Canada, where I enjoyed hiking the mountains along our fantastic west coast. I just arrived in SA, and am staying indefinitely. I'm really very excited to get out and do some hiking in Australia's outback, but was disappointed to hear that the summer is MUCH too hot. I have instead, through research, found the beginning of the heysen trail (from jervis to victor) to be suitable for an early summer hike. I have however been told that the heysen trail is often closed during the summer due to fire risk. Is this walk not worth doing in the summer? Has anyone done this in the summer time? Any hints or tips? I would also be bringing along my girlfriend who is not a very experienced hiker. Would this be too difficult for her?

Any input would be great guys.

Thanks,

John
cleegus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Cape Jervis to Victor Harbour

Postby photohiker » Sat 03 Dec, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi John and Welcome.

I did Cape Jervis to Victor earlier this year. Trip write-up here

Coming from Canada, and just newly arrived, it is likely you are not familiar with the severity of the summer or bushfire risk during summer in South Australia. In a nutshell, it is severe.

The Heysen Trail has its own website which also details the track closure during the summer. It is possible to walk parts of the track during summer as long as there is no Total Fire ban in force. I would encourage you to read the relevant section of the Heysen Trail Website.

Some sections of the Heysen Trail remain open year round, principally those sections not on private land. These sections include public roads, Conservation Parks and Reserves (closed on days of Total Fire Ban), Forests (closed on days of Total Fire Ban) and vacant land.

Note that the trail crosses some private land on this section.

Distance walking in summer in an arid environment is not to be taken lightly. Apart from the fire risk, there is great risk to health from heat and dehydration. The water requirements for walkers in summer per day are somewhere between 2 and 5 Litres per day. Bushwalking.org FAQ. Apart from the fire risk, there is quite a water supply gap between Tapanappa and Waitpinga/Newland Head and you would have to carry significant supplies to basically tide you over 2 days, and that's assuming the water supplies at those locations holds out.

In short: Better to do some day walks on the trail on Fire Ban free days during summer and save your longer walks for the walking season from May to the end of November.

HTH.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cleegus » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks very much for your quick reply. Its a bit of a let down however. Is there anywhere you could suggest for an overnight camping trip in the Adelaide/SA area over Christmas holidays? Somewhere secluded? Is there any beaches worth hiking to for a camping trip, preferably with a water source?

I've been trying to find something on the internet, but sources and information is scarce. I recently purchased a heysen trail guide, but again, with most of the heysen trail being closed for summer, its not of much use.

Sorry if I'm asking for too much! I just really don't know where else to go for this information, and would LOVE to get some camping done over the holidays.

Thanks again everyone,

John
cleegus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby photohiker » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't done any overnight summer camping trips in SA. Such is the challenge of living in such a dry state!

However. since walking through it, I'm quite impressed with the Deep Creek area, and I think that it would be quite a reasonable place as long as the weather wasn't too hot and there were no fire ban in force.

Deep Creek Conservation Park is on the Heysen trail section you are looking at. There is good road access to several of the campsites in the park, so it might be possible to park your car at say Tapanappa or Trig campgrounds and do an overnight walk to Tunkalilla Beach or somewhere else within the park, returning the next day (or arranging pickup, there is road access to the top of the hills behind the beach). You could even basecamp and do forays into the park over several days. I'm not sure of the status of Deep Creek during the fire season, but I would be surprised if it remained open on a total fire ban day. I do know people visit it during summer.

A link to the Park Website here.

The Deep Creek Bushwalking brochure here

Other than that, I'd be looking towards coastal walking away from the interior. You'll understand why when we get a few hot days, it's been very mild so far. South is good, Victor Harbor is several degrees cooler than Adelaide...

There is a couple of booklets put out in the last few years detailing daywalks in the Adelaide/SA area. They would also be a good resource. I'll see if I can find the names and publisher. Snowy's on Richmond Road has a book section as does the Heysen Trail people but they are shut for summer I think...

HTH
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 5:02 pm

Hello cleegus.

I live in SA and love walking, but it really is hot and dry in summer. The locals mostly frequent beaches at that time of year.
Unless you are used to it, and know the area well, I suspect the combination of hot and dry could be very dangerous.
I have never done an overnight walk in summer in SA. We did do an overnight walk in the Lower Flinders [Alligator Gorge] on 30th Oct a few years back. It was the last day when overnight hiking was allowed, and it was a long and hot walk. No troubles with water due to tanks and dams along the way - but very taxing with heat. Summer is potentially a lot worse than we experienced then.

We also did a few hours walk in Nov at Wilpena Pound (middle Flinders) and despite starting early we all "melted" for this short walk. Most spent the rest of the day in a swimming pool at the resort.
The Victor Harbor area is generally cooler - even on hot days. Proximity to the ocean is key. But water supply is always the chief concern.
I have carried up to 8 litres at a time - but that was walking in winter. Then it lasted 3 days - but it would last a lot less time in summer.
If it is primarily solitude you are after - you might get it by camping next to a car at Waitpinga Beach [which is on the Heysen Trail].
Depending on when you go - SA can be a quiet place. Not a lot of crowds.

Having said that - there is a walkers hut in Deep Creek [Eagle Waterhole] - check the pamphlet photohiker mentions. It would probably be the one place I might contemplate an overnighter with its adjacent water tank. However, the distances are not great - it is an easy walk to cross the park in a day. But you could work it into a nice loop as my son and a friend did. You would still need to check with the rangers that an overnighter is allowed, but I cannot see anything stopping this. It would definitely be closed though on days declared as Extreme Fire Danger.

Note that the pamphlet says:
"Carry sufficient food and drinking water. • Allow 4 litres of water per person per day.
Do not rely on tanks or creeks in the park for drinking water."
It will be no open fires throughout the year, but I think you would need to plan on no fire at all now that fire ban season has started.

For overnight treks in summer - we go to Tasmania :) But I am about to try the real alpine parts of NSW/Vic next week.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davec » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 7:13 pm

Sort of on the topic of summer in Deep Creek, is a Trangia metho stove accepted in the "gas fires only" policy?
davec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby eggs » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 9:58 am

Official pamphlet says: "Gas or liquid fuel stoves are preferable" - so Trangia is fine.

The web site says:
All wood fires or solid fuel fires are prohibited during the Fire Danger Season from 1 November to 30 April. Gas fires are permitted other than on days of Total Fire Ban.

The general info on SA parks says:
Fire bans
In most parks, the fire ban season extends from 1 November to 30 April, depending on seasonal conditions. No wood fires are
permitted in parks during this time. All open fires, liquid fuel and gas stoves are banned in all parks on days of extreme fire danger
as declared by the Country Fire Service (CFS) and broadcast on ABC radio 891 on the AM frequency.

Given the pamphlet statement - I would read "Gas fires are permitted" as gas and liquid fuel - especially since the Trangia is an enclosed burner.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jez_au » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 11:18 am

The Yurrebilla Trail might be a good option. 54km through the Adelaide Hills, following some of the Heysen Trail. Either three day walks, or maybe five shorter day walks. From Black Hill at Athelstone, to Belair National Park. It's not overnight camping though as there isn't anywhere to camp along the trail.

There are two map books around, either is fine to use, one has a more detailed map but the lesser one is fine (both are topo maps). The trail is well sign-posted, but you will need some sort of map I think.

There is some info here: http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/top_trails.asp?yurrebilla
My blog has some photos and google maps: http://jez-hiking.blogspot.com/search/label/Yurrebilla Trail
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wander » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 11:50 am

cleegus,

We live in Adelaide and normally try and get over to Tassie for a wander over the December & January period. Problem solved.

But things are not always that easy. We have spent a luverly Xmas eave camped on top of St Mary's Peak in the Flinders followed by another night Edeowie way. It all depends on the weather. If there is a cool spell with a Southerly airstream forecast for a couple of days it can be very nice in the Flinders. It is a matter of looking at the forecast and moving quickly if the forecast is in your favour.

Another option are to explore Innes Nat Park at the bottom of Yorkes. This can be very nice as the sea breeze often comes in very early.

We have found Kangaroo Island to be very nice through December, January and February. It is generally 10 degrees less than the mainland and again subject to early sea breezes. That said we did find ourselves peddling along in 40 degrees for a couple of days one trip. No matter, there is always a beach not far away and the water is very cold.

Or get hold of some kayaks and paddle the River or the Southern Lakes.

PM me if you want to talk about options over a map and coffee in the morning or over a beer in the arvo, I am based in the city.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory