Larapinta end to end in May

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Larapinta end to end in May

Postby srforum112 » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi All
I completed the Larapinta walk late last week. Walked west to east.

Sparx, the few people we met on the track mentioned your journey to my friend and I while we were walking. We were able to follow your progress out in the middle of nowhere! Two older ladies (Kath and Kate) mentioned you were running the track and ended up taking an extra day (5 days). They were impressed with the size of your pack! It's great that you achieved your goal and enjoyed the track.

The Larapinta trail is a magnicificant and physically demanding walk. The razorback Ridge is impressive and the views from Brinkley's Bluff make it worth the steep climb. The Gorges and Standley Chasm are all worth visiting. We got to see lots of bird species including the black/red cockatoos.

I walked in gaiters, my friend didn't. I choose the gaiters for protection from the spinnifex and in the event that I fell over on the rocky surface....and I did a few times. I'd certainly recommnend wearing walking boots....the terrain is very tough on footwear.

There was water about but I wouldn't rely on it, though we did collect water at Waterfall Gorge and the water was good (we did treat the water) as we walked on from here to camp 6kms along the track. Otherwise we relied on tank water at the campsites. Ormiston Pound walk is also worth walking if you have the time and the Kiosk is now open so you can buy an icecream afterwards! Kerry and Dave the managers are very friendly and helpful.

Great walk, and only a 1000 people walk the track each year! Apprently we were number 30 and 31 for this year!

Sonja
srforum112
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 9:47 am

wildlight wrote:
north-north-west wrote:I'd like to have the time to do it as an out and back. If I could find somewhere safe to park the car at the Alice . . .

hey north-north-west,

What about for absolute freedom- leave the car at home and fly there? It would be an incredibly awesome out-and-back in the outback.

The Chifley, just out of the town proper, will look after your vehicle, as will the Wintersun Caravan Park. Two opposite ends of the spectrum... both will want a minimal fee- you could do it easily, logistics wise.

I've found that Alice is a place where you can just rock up and things will happen- if the first person can't help you, they'll know the right person who can.

That would be an absolute humdinger of a walk.

SafeStaps

WildLight

Flying would be too restrictive, have to be back by a certain time. I may be back up the centre sometime after Christmas and, if so, make the time to do it. It's only a couple of weeks, after all.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, Alice is greqat that way. Most of the Territory works like that, in fact. Very relaxed sort of place. (Except for the diving in Darwin, but that's another story . . . :roll: )
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby wildlight » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:28 pm

north-north-west wrote:Flying would be too restrictive, have to be back by a certain time.

We've changed our interstate ways to the following:
Book our flight to the destination, and organise a flight home when we finish the activity. Sure you don't get the super deals of the pre-planned itinerary- but you also don't get the feeling of shackles, as you say, north-north-west, of having to be out by a certain time. I'm fully with you on this observation, you've always got that wretched departure date and time in the back of your mind.

We're doing a Larapinta walk in about 7 weeks exactly this way- inbound trip is organised, worry about coming home and booking that, when the time comes.

I'm guessing you already know how warm it there "after Christmas"... but if it's a fair bit after, things are more liveable.

What a great idea- out and back- I keep suggesting it to Mrs, who keeps reminding me not to bring it up again...

Constant dripping wears the stone!

Safe Steps

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dreamer » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi, I'm set to walk Larapinta end to end in August over 10 days/ 9 nights. My proposed daily itinerary is below. Appreciated any comments by those who have done it before (whole or sections). There is definite water in tanks (& even toilets!) at all camp sites except 2 as indicated. Some side trip may also be done.

DAY1: Transfer to Redbank gorge by 11am. 15.8 km Summit Mt Sonder & return.
DAY2: 26km to Finke river
DAY3: 24.4km to Waterfall gorge (dry camp? - top up water at Ormiston)
DAY4: 26.7km to Serpentine gorge
DAY5: 29.1km to Rocky Gully (pickup food drop at Ellery Creek at lunchtime)
DAY6: 25.2km to Fringe Lily creek (dry camp? - top up water at Hugh gorge)
DAY7: 26.4km to Stanley Chasm
DAY8: 24.4km to Mulga Camp
DAY9: 24km to Wallaby Gap
DAY10: 13.5km to Telegraph Station (call taxi to get into town centre 3km away).
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby forest » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Dreamer
I think what you have is very do-able. Big days but your travelling light and if you don't get too foot sore you'll cope.

Just noticed your camping at Fringe Lily Creek.
Two groups I know have just completed the walk earlier in July. They both stated good water near Finge Lily Camp and re-filled there water bottles there but things could have changed by the end of August if they still don't see any rain.

I think the water is a little distance from the track and campsite.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dale » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 8:23 pm

Dreamer wrote:Hi, I'm set to walk Larapinta end to end in August over 10 days/ 9 nights. My proposed daily itinerary is below. Appreciated any comments by those who have done it before (whole or sections). There is definite water in tanks (& even toilets!) at all camp sites except 2 as indicated. Some side trip may also be done.

DAY1: Transfer to Redbank gorge by 11am. 15.8 km Summit Mt Sonder & return.
DAY2: 26km to Finke river
DAY3: 24.4km to Waterfall gorge (dry camp? - top up water at Ormiston)
DAY4: 26.7km to Serpentine gorge
DAY5: 29.1km to Rocky Gully (pickup food drop at Ellery Creek at lunchtime)
DAY6: 25.2km to Fringe Lily creek (dry camp? - top up water at Hugh gorge)
DAY7: 26.4km to Stanley Chasm
DAY8: 24.4km to Mulga Camp
DAY9: 24km to Wallaby Gap
DAY10: 13.5km to Telegraph Station (call taxi to get into town centre 3km away).

Oh no - you won't be stopping at Ormiston for a hot shower :shock:

There's no water at Waterfall Gorge (not well named !) so definitely top up at Ormiston.

Good luck and look forward to the trip report.
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dreamer » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 8:29 pm

Cheers Forest & Dale, good to know I'm not just 'dreaming' :D

Plan to start by about 6:30am each morning if I can force myself to get up in the cold. My feet should be OK as long as the knees last!

Thanks for the heads up regarding water at Fringe Lily...of course I won't absolutely count on it...and none at Waterfall...good to know.

Maybe shower at lunch time at Ormiston. :?
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bigkev » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Dreamer
I did almost the exact same itinerary as your planning a couple of years ago, 10 days from Mt Sonder to Alice. It is an amazing walk, I used a bivy bag and bivied on top of the ridge before dropping down to Waterfall gorge, carrying water from Ormiston, I also bivied on Brinkley Bluff, carrying water from Birthday Waterhole. The views of the stars from these high points were a highlight of the walk. Be prepared for some long days, especially if doing some of the side trips. From what I understand Fringe Lily is fairly reliable, but to be sure I'd carry it from Hugh Gorge. When I went through Waterfall Gorge, the pool at the bottom of the falls was dry and had toilet paper in it. Take your time from Hugh Gorge to Jay Creek, in my opinion that is the most spectacular section, you can make up time from Jay Creek to Alice. Hope you have a great walk, I'm betting you'll have sore knees and feet by the end of it, but you'll also have a big contented smile.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Dreamer » Wed 01 Aug, 2012 8:35 am

Cheers bigkev,
I'll let you all know how on go. I may adjust and camp on a ridge one night if there's no wind and I find a likely spot for the Tarptent. Apparently, Mintbush Spring 11km after Fringe Lily has some sweet water. Did you do the Ormiston Pound Loop?
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jez_au » Fri 03 Aug, 2012 10:13 am

bigkev wrote:From what I understand Fringe Lily is fairly reliable, but to be sure I'd carry it from Hugh Gorge.

I was at Fringe Lily campsite three weeks ago. There is plenty of water there, about 300-400m south of the campsite, several large rock pools.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bigkev » Fri 03 Aug, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Dreamer,
I didn't do the Ormiston loop on that walk, but have done the loop and been out to Bowman's Gap before, both are good if you have the time. A the very least make the small detour into the gorge, its pretty impressive. The most likely option for a tarp tent on the ridge before Waterfall Gorge is in a copse of tree's about 1k before reaching Giles Lookout. Mintbush Spring does have water but I found it easier to go to Birthday Waterhole as I had a food stash there, from what I remember of Mintbush Spring you may have hunt around a bit for some clean water (I was there in a dry year though). Looking at jez_au post, I'd suggest filling up at Fringe Lily, that should get you through to Stanley Chasm if your doing it in one day (a very big day).

One thing I noticed on the trail was the number of walkers that under estimated both the climbing involved, and the amount of rough ground on the trail. The trail has excellent facilities and is very well marked but I think that encourages some less experienced walkers who sometimes struggled in the terrain. I'd be interested if anyone else noticed this, or if it was just my imagination.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory