Yurrebilla Trail - camping?

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby DanielS » Wed 08 Feb, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi all,
I'm thinking of walking the Yurrebilla Trail over a couple of days. Does anyone know if there are any particularly good spots about halfway along to camp at? Cheers!
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 08 Feb, 2012 10:16 pm

There are some spots that are campable. I'll check locs and get back to you.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 08 Feb, 2012 10:55 pm

Please see the attached image. I knocked it up on my phone, so please excuse its lack of detail. Please consider it as a scribble on a paper napkin.

I can send more info if needed, but please consider that this whole trail would demand descreet and low-footprint camps. Also, be aware of restrictions and be prepared to camp on one side of a boundary and not the other. I also suggest that most land owners are content for you to conduct a low-footprint camp on the edge of their property.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328705624.129752.jpg
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Yurrebilla Trail - camping?

Postby DanielS » Thu 09 Feb, 2012 7:18 am

Thanks very much!! It would definitely be low impact camping - no fires etc, just a tent or a bivvy on a spot of ground. I found a trip report online somewhere and they said they camped in Horsnell Gully, that might be the go.

Thanks again!
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jez_au » Thu 09 Feb, 2012 8:34 am

yeah plenty of spots in Horsnell Gully, a couple of ruins a couple with easy flat ground around them, esp down the very bottom. A fair way from the nearest roads too. Lots of koalas to keep you awake.

Also between oyster_7's most northern "private paddocks" mark and Norton Summit, close to Norton Summit, the Morialta Barns might be a good spot too, there might be water there too (numerous buildings and ruins, one large one reroofed). There would certainly be water at Norton Summit, there is a pub, nice toilets behind the hall and CFS. Also in the creeks in Morialta, probably the creek at the bottom of Hornsell Gully. Mt Lofty summit would also have water. You could also dissapear down any of the numerous fire tracks in Morialta to try and find a spot, but it might be difficult to find a clear spot that isn't beneath buzzing powerlines.

Top work oyster_7!
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanielS » Thu 09 Feb, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks jez, all very handy to know!
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii