Bibbulmun Track question

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bibbulmun Track question

Postby bushscout » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 2:20 pm

I am part of a small group which wish to walk 2 weeks on the Bibbulmun in Sept/Oct this year. Due to some of our group only being able to take holidays during school holidays, we will be walking the first week during NSW school holidays and the second week during WA school holidays. We would prefer to walk in more remote areas, particularly during the second week when there may be lots of families/kids on the track. Can anyone suggest the best remote or less walked areas that we should walk? I have been checking out the Bibbulmun Track website, but there is nothing like word of mouth! Thanks.
bushscout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bibbulmun Track question

Postby Aushiker » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 2:31 pm

In terms of school holidays, I would be south of Dwellingup, well probably two campsites south of Dwellingup.

For remoteness, I would suggest south of Northcliffe but expect the likelihood of the Track being flooded in places.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby jacko1956 » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 6:25 pm

The NSW holidays won't have any effect but the WA ones will increase numbers somewhat.
I would normally recommend starting at Walpole and heading north. Starting at Walpole gives you main road/bus access at start and the finish can be at Northcliffe, Pemberton or Donnelly River depending on how fast you walk.
HOWEVER at that time of year several of the sections south of Northcliffe involve wading through knee deep or higher water quite frequently. Also the bushfire earlier this year is probably still going to involve detours or impinge on the experience.
Strangely enough I would recommend from the northern terminus head south. As the first week is not WA holidays you should miss the school kids a bit (although in my E2E last year I had 23 year 10s and 3 teachers show up at 4:30 at the first hut!)'
The northern forest is best at this time of year, it is a section best done in the cool and more importantly, it actually is surprisingly pretty and "remote". (IMHO).
I found Mts Cuthbert and Vincent to be one of the unexpected highlights of the trip.
You may have some busier huts in the second week but there are so many variables you could also have empty huts.
As always take tent backup, huts CANNOT be relied on.
Water will not be a problem as tanks at huts will be full. You may need to purify (I didn't) but food resupply will need to be organised in advance for the section Kalamunda through to Dwellingup.
jacko1956
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strick » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:36 pm

I have hiked the Bibb twice. The first time was in 2001 and I didn't see a soul for 5 days after leaving Mundaring Weir (just outside of Perth). To this day, it was the longest I've ever gone without human company. It was a little more crowded in '05, but not much. I agree the Northern forests can feel more remote than the Southern, plus the towns are more spaced out, which obviously increases feelings of remoteness, but might hamper your resupply.

There is an abrupt change between the Northern Jarrah based forest and the Southern one of Karri and Red Tingle. If I only had 2 weeks I might do a stretch somewhere in the middle that highlights the differences.
Strick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jacko1956 » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 7:34 pm

Second thoughts....
If you only have 2 weeks and won't be coming back - hike Brookton Highway to North Bannister, then drive to Pemberton and spend a day looking at the karris and then on to Walpole by car and hike to Denmark. This would let you see a bit of "everything". The section from Giants to Rame Head is amazing with forest and ocean in the one day. Don't even give the school holidays a thought. You may get crowds, you may not. A large part of everyone's favourite memories are the characters you meet and the friends you make.
jacko1956
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bushscout » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 7:46 pm

All these responses have been great - thanks very much for the thought that has gone into your replies. It has given me much to think about. A few of us would like to aim to come back in a few years time to do the whole track and this is just to get a bit of a taste. Thanks!!
bushscout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby baldhead » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:46 am

There are a few options, it depends on your preference for forest walking, rural vista's, coastal plains, coastal scenery, beach walking

If you find the huts are busy during school holidays taking a tent gives you felxiblity to camp between the huts, using the huts during the day for a lunch, water, toilet stop
baldhead
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rogo » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 5:37 pm

I regularly hike during school holidays and don't see others on the track. Especially the further south you go. I did a section last week between Mundaring and Dale rd and even though there was others at the hut it was only 2 or so. I don't mind sharing huts as I sleep in my tent away from others anyway.

I have done 4 or 5 days without seeing others (apart from my walking friends) as well.

Spring is beautiful especially round Vincent and Cuthbert. One of my favourite sections in spring.

ro
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby YoungNedOfTheHill » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 2:30 pm

I would suggest starting from the town of Balingup (240km south of Perth) and ending in Northcliffe further south. These are remote parts of the track but also take you through Pemberton, you can stock up on all supplies there and it is a beautiful little town. You will hike through a lot of old growth forest and be rewarded with the beauties of of the Kari forests further south.

I recently got back from a similar hike although we did that distance in about 8 days give or take, I have through hiked the Bibb (2011) and must say for a 2 week experience this would be my pick. Walpole to Albany would be another great section to do as you will be on the coast for most of the time and you get to tip a few back in celebration at the end.

You should contact the BTF, ( http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/ ) they can help you with any trip organisation.
Travel far away
Travel slow
Go on your own two feet
Squat down
And talk to people
YoungNedOfTheHill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory