Day Walk from Adelaide

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Day Walk from Adelaide

Postby stgill » Tue 15 May, 2012 8:04 pm

Looks like I'll be in Adelaide in a few weeks visiting the in-laws. As appealing as this is, if my wife looks away for a moment, I'd like to disappear for a day. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about Kangaroo Island but would like to know what locals think. Is KI good for a day and, if so, where would the best areas be? Are their other areas that I should probably look at instead of KI? Any ideas appreciated.
stgill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Day Walk from Adelaide

Postby photohiker » Tue 15 May, 2012 10:47 pm

KI in a Day from Adelaide?

Well, you could do it, but it'd be a bit hectic. You'd really want several days to do much justice to KI.

There are lots of daywalks around Adelaide. How far and how strenuous are you looking for? Are you thinking of leaving in the morning and being back by dark?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stgill » Wed 16 May, 2012 9:56 am

Looks like I'll explore KI another time. A full day would be ideal - dawn to dusk. If the heart rate gets up a bit, so much the better.

Peter
stgill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby philm » Thu 17 May, 2012 10:05 am

I would give KI a miss for 1 day - you would need a 3-4 day trip to appreciate it.
There are plenty of great day walks in the Adelaie Hills / Mt Lofty ranges. The most popular trackis the waterfall gully to Mt Lofty summit walk - I would give it a miss as there is far too many people to make it enjoyable.

Go to Morialta Park and start on the Norton Summit Roat - some good walks but up and down!

Other good options are Kuipo forest, Deep Creek (abotu 1 hour from Adelaide).
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby photohiker » Thu 17 May, 2012 11:15 am

I'd suggest having a look at the Yurrebilla trail (PDF map of the trail HERE)

The trail runs through the foothills and there are many places where you can catch public transport to or from the trail, especially the early sections starting at Belair. The whole trail is 56km, but you'd be running to do that in a day. You'd probably get half of it done dawn to dusk though.

Morialta is good. The walk up to Mt Lofty is good, but not long enough for a day walk. Philm is right, it's very busy on the weekends but still quite nice during the week.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stgill » Thu 17 May, 2012 7:36 pm

Photohiker and Philm, thanks for your suggestions. I'd just about decided to do part of the Yurrebilla Trail as it was easy to get to. Then I looked at Deep Creek - decision made. Looks pretty good and there's a circuit I should be able to fit in with the travel time.
stgill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walk2wineries » Thu 17 May, 2012 10:19 pm

http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/wi ... walks.aspx but getting there & back in a day has little appeal.

this is a great site. http://www.walkingtrailssupportgroup.or ... aindex.htm Just noticed from that http://paulscottinfo.ipage.com/adelaide ... tents.html

You might consider http://keepwalking.ucoz.com/ (I think the webpage provides little but contact information) - Keepwalking SA is an odd sort of bushwalking outfit; you don't really sign up, just let the leader know if you are going on one of the listed walks, but you need to ask them to send you the list.) I often go with the Friday bunch; friendly lot and Ron picks great walks.

I think the Deep Creek Conservation park is a great suggestion, its at the foot of the Fleurieu peninsula; you can see KI over the straight! http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/ ... ation_Park has good walks including bits of the Heysen trail.

Enjoy.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Fri 18 May, 2012 7:29 am

A great looking collection of sites you have linked, thanks!
It's particularly nice when people post links that aren't full of advertisement...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby LTM » Fri 18 May, 2012 5:24 pm

From the city you'll find Deep Ck is about an hour and a half by car to the start of the walk. I recommend doing the walk clockwise, ie, the waterfall first, then up to Tappanapa, then to Deep Ck Cove and back to the car park. It is a lovely walk.
LTM
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby SAPete » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:22 pm

A good walk that has mostly clean Mt Lofty scrub and a bit of history is Scott Creek Conservation Park near Cherry Gardens. At the carpark at the bottom of Dorset Vale Rd is the conservation park car park. 100m away is an old horizontal shaft silver mine. Take a torch!. Then after an hour hiking via a loop check out the rest of the old Almanda Silver mine and workings.
SAPete
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Phillip Murray » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 5:19 pm

stgill wrote:Looks like I'll be in Adelaide in a few weeks visiting the in-laws. As appealing as this is, if my wife looks away for a moment, I'd like to disappear for a day. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about Kangaroo Island but would like to know what locals think. Is KI good for a day and, if so, where would the best areas be? Are their other areas that I should probably look at instead of KI? Any ideas appreciated.

I guess all the suggestion of " walk2wineries" is the best.. all info are there.. you might it a try..
Music Lover and Adventurer
Phillip Murray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory