SA: Sea to Summit 2012, June 10

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

SA: Sea to Summit 2012, June 10

Postby photohiker » Thu 24 May, 2012 10:53 am

Entry here: http://www.sarrc.asn.au/index.php/event ... -to-summit

This is a 32km run or walk from the sea at Kingston Park beach to the summit of Mt Lofty. It's a solid days hike, and you're definitely ready for a refreshment of your choosing when you reach the end. There is also the option of a start halfway giving a 15km course still finishing at Mt Lofty.

There is a mix of parkland, trails and bitumen to walk through, and the elevation gain over the day is just on 1500m. Last year I completed the walk in under 6 hours which was a PB for me, but the leaders were so far out of sight that I think they caught a taxi! - my time was 5:52 and the leader was 5:06 :shock:

So anyway, if any members are interested in going, maybe we could go as a group. The start is at 8am and the timing desk finishes at 4pm (or did last year), so there are 8 hours to complete the course, average of 4kmh including stops. Easy! :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: SA: Sea to Summit 2012, June 10

Postby photohiker » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, I'm back, and no BWA participants turned up so I gave it my best shot on behalf of you all. :D

200 participants this year, which was a great turnout. A lot more walkers too, so I may not be in the top 3 this year, but I knocked about 25 minutes off last year's time anyway, and on a longer course. That's a personal best.

Sea2SummitLog2012.jpg
Sea To Summit GPS Log

Elevation numbers are out by about 330m. I forgot to calibrate the barometer...

I passed a lot more runners (who weren't) this year, and I noticed a few walkers who were running :shock: anyway, perfect weather for a very well organised and enjoyable event.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory