The best Tasmanian coastal 3-4 day walk

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

The best Tasmanian coastal 3-4 day walk

Postby JAll » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi all

I've been trying to decide on a walk to do over the Christmas/NYs period with a few friends. Which coastal walk is considered the most scenic? Tasman Coastal Train, Freycinet, Bay of Fires or Maria Island? We are looking for a 3-4 day hike.

And if we didn't go coastal, what would be the best options for a 3-4 dayer (already done Frenchmans Cap and Walls of Jerusalem).

Thanks! :D
JAll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: The best Tasmanian coastal 3-4 day walk

Postby Strider » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 3:18 pm

Tasman Peninsula would have the be the winner for coastal, with Freycinet the runner up. The massive sea cliffs and overall rugged scenery is just so impressive!

Keep in mind though that now they've essentially paved the track as part of the Three Cakes project, it may have completely lost its wilderness appeal.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 4:06 pm

I'd consider adding sections of the Southwest Cape Track to your list of possibilities. Sure it involves flying in and out of Melaleuca ($$$), but even if you walk in as far as New Harbour and Hidden Bay and then return, it's a stunning walk. Sometimes muddy, often windy and rainy, but still absolutely beautiful. A definite taste of the wilderness. I've described some of my walk experiences here http://www.naturescribe.com/2012/01/nor-isobars-cage.html and in following posts.

And BTW - the 3 Capes Track is still being constructed, so you'd only be able to do disjointed sections of it at this point - not really a 3-4 day through-walk yet,

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Eljimberino » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 11:15 am

+1 South West Cape if money is no issue. If your friends are from overseas they'll get a great joy flight too.

Ride On
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 5:17 pm

I'd choose Maria for the coastal experience from those mentioned. Likely a bit busy at that time of year. Similar story in the mountains, even Frenchmans is likely going to be increasingly crowded.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TheGhostWhoWalks » Sun 16 Nov, 2014 6:52 pm

Freycinet is fairly easy, and you do end up back at your car. Be mindful that coastal = boatie access (eskies full of grog and other mayhem).
This also puts a high demand on rainwater tanks. Freycinet gets hammered over Xmas/New year, so parking is at a premium if you turn up between 10 and 3pm.
It's really only a 2.25 day walk, and short days at that.
TheGhostWhoWalks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby JAll » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks everyone - we're going with Freycinet over two and a bit days, and a day trip to Maria Island for bikeriding. Hopefully it's not too busy down at Freycinet!
JAll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gregm » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 5:06 am

Hi

Hope you enjoyed Freycinet. Will be doing again this year as a day walk but only Wineglass to Mt Freycinet & return this time.

My wife & I are heading down to Tas for a few weeks starting late January & we will be visiting Maria Island.

I would be interested in how far one can cycle around Maria &what are the tracks like?

Have a great day
Greg
gregm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes