NE peakbagging

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

NE peakbagging

Postby doogs » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 1:27 pm

We all piled in the car and got strapped in ready to go. The leader made one final check that we had everything and off we went. Apparently we were going up a "big mountain", anyway that is what I was told.. The road was long and winding, my companion in the back seat had fallen asleep and was snoring. When we reach the turn off on to a gravel road I asked if we nearly there yet, the reply from the front was "not too far now". Up and up we went on narrowing bumpy roads with huge trees and ferns towering over us. At one point we stopped to watch a family of wallabies having their breakfast at the side of the road. Finally we reached the road end and the start of the anticipated walk. We woke my snoring companion and off we went. Ten minutes later we summited. Dad read the sign to me it apparently said Snow Hill 976 metres, I didn't believe him as there was no snow. I felt this a suitable point to remind Dad he had promised us ice creams and a trip to the park on the way home! He insisted that we had the "obligatory summit photos before we descended to the car. My little brother would like to know if he can claim the 2 peakbagging points on offer for this mighty mountain even though he was piggybacked the whole way up?
Aged 4.

2011_0120may2010-june20100001.JPG
2011_0120may2010-june20100011.JPG
the fun you can have with a trig point

*This was a great little trip with my 2 young kids which would be a great family outing if you combined it with a visit to the local waterfalls, and then a sneaky beer at the Lake Leake pub!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: NE peakbagging

Postby Lizzy » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 2:38 pm

gee thats a fancy bushwalking outfit! MD or Macpac????
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby doogs » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 2:46 pm

Its part of the "Alpine Range" from Von Trapp!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 10:17 pm

Good to see the little ones learning to peak bag at an early age. And you only have to touch the summit to get the points, doesn't matter how you get there. Now, if only I could find someone silly enough to carry me to a few summits.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:39 am

Nice - I did this major peak with my babies as well.....
Attachments
woof.jpg
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes