forterscue Bay to Hurricain Heath (cape Pillar)???????????

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

forterscue Bay to Hurricain Heath (cape Pillar)???????????

Postby tassiehiker » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 5:30 pm

hi i was just wondering if anyone has hiked from forterscue bay to Hurricain Heath (cape Pillar) ??????????????? i was just wondering if you could walk to Hurricain Heath in on day????? cheeres
tassiehiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: forterscue Bay to Hurricain Heath (cape Pillar)?????????

Postby samh » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 1:11 am

Hi,
do you want to walk to Cape Pillar and back in a day, or do you intend to stay overnight at Hurricane heath? Also it depends if you walk via Mt Fortescue, or along the more direct inland route.
If you go the inland route and stay at Hurricane heath for the night it is easy to get there in a day. I don't think this is really possible walking via Mt.Fortescue. Last time I went to Hurricane heath I met a couple who planned to do Cape Pillar as return day walk, but that would be a really looooong day and I would not really suggest it, others may think otherwise.
Also when you stay there for the night, be reminded that there is not much water available in the area.

tasman peninsula.jpg
tasman peninsula.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 3100 times

tasman peninsula 2.jpg
tasman peninsula 2.jpg (47.01 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Graham51 » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 8:43 pm

I have walked to The Blade and back via the low level route (Not over Mt Fortescue) in a fairly long day. As the days are getting shorter it might be a bit of a challenge at the moment. You would need to b e pretty fit and speedy to complete this in one day and also it's much more rewarding to camp out there somewhere - Perdition Ponds, Oasis - and walk right to the end, and even down to the base of the cliffs at the very end. There are some fantastic views worth taking your time over.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 8:33 pm

Yeah, overnight is much better if you're going to Cape Pillar but just to Hurricane heath from the start near Snake hill, it's not far at all, easy day return trip. :wink:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes