Menamatta Tarns - Ben Lomond Nat Park

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Menamatta Tarns - Ben Lomond Nat Park

Postby Giuliano E » Mon 13 May, 2013 4:08 pm

I've been looking at these tarns on the map for a few years and have always wondered what they would be like. I finally got the chance the other weekend to go for a walk and have a look.

Basically I walked up from Car Villa with the weather clearing just nicely for me once on the flat. I turned roughly SSW at 55G 553544 5403311 for about 2.5km. There is no path but it's not too bad getting through. Every now and then you have to circumnavigate a few sharp bushes and water holes, and there is also some walking over rocks. The rocks are all around the same height though so it's not too hard to just trundle along over them.

The tarns are in my mind really quite beautiful. Not everybodies cup of tea I suppose. I found it really quite stark, desolate, even a bit eerie. It's as flat as a pancake and very exposed, no cover or protection from the elements and over 1400 up. Seems to stretch out around you for ever, especially when your looking northish.

I took some photos but with my phone so not the best quality. Anyway, I really enjoyed it and cant wait to go back for a night or two. Strangely enough I even got some limited phone coverage (just SMS) around the top of the ridge coming onto Sprent Plains and the tarns. And I was also lucky enough to have an awesome eagle fly over head. Looked to be only about 40 or so metres up. Absolute magic.
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (37.97 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (121.6 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
photo (6).JPG
photo (6).JPG (134.38 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
photo (4).JPG
photo (4).JPG (112.67 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (107.35 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Giuliano E
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Menamatta Tarns - Ben Lomond Nat Park

Postby tibboh » Mon 13 May, 2013 10:23 pm

There is something special about a high exposed plateau. Thanks for sharing.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 May, 2013 5:49 pm

It's also some of the easiest off track walking you'll find in Tassie. Lovely country. Must get a night's camping in out there one day.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby GD4Up » Tue 21 May, 2013 9:16 pm

Amazing spot - in part that its so close to town but so rarely visited
GD4Up
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum