Frenchmans Cap to Victoria Pass

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Frenchmans Cap to Victoria Pass

Postby Mechanic-AL » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 7:56 pm

Have a loose plan at the moment to walk into Frenchmans Cap this summer and continue on to Irenabyss and out to Victoria pass via Mary Creek plains. I would appreciate any info of any nature regarding the crossing of the Franklin River and how well defined the track is from Irenabyss to Vic pass ? I,m no speed machine in the bush and would much prefer to take my time and enjoy the views and surroundings. What would be a moderate to slow time frame to complete this trip?
Cheers
AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Frenchmans Cap to Victoria Pass

Postby tastrax » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 9:00 pm

As this route is generally not on maps you are more likely to get PM's in response to your question (in line with forum rules) - rule 24. You might want to spell out your experience off track so folks can gauge your capabilities.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 9:28 pm

I am under the impression there is no track and the time for that section of the trip is measured in days.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mechanic-AL » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:33 pm

No Off track experience at all Tastrax, hence the reason for asking how well defined the "track"is. Considering there is mention of this route in one of Chapmans books I kind of thought this enquiry might be with in the forum rules. Have only just become a forum member today and dont want to upset anyone already. Like I said, all advice will be appreciated.
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:44 pm

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 9:02 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:No Off track experience at all Tastrax, hence the reason for asking how well defined the "track"is. Considering there is mention of this route in one of Chapmans books I kind of thought this enquiry might be with in the forum rules. Have only just become a forum member today and dont want to upset anyone already. Like I said, all advice will be appreciated.

In Tasmania, "route" generally means no track.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 11:51 am

There is no track at all for much of the way. It took me one day to get from Tahune to Irenabyss, and two days to get from Irenabyss to Victoria Pass. The route is very scrubby in some sections and seriously leech ridden if you go through Mary Creek Plains (so I've heard - I went around the Plains which I think was easier).

We saw no water for about 1.5 days after the Irenabyss, apart from yabbie holes amongst the grass, so we used straws (plus carried full bottles).

If you're not experienced with off track walking, do not attempt this walk. You will need to be competent with off track navigation, and at least a bit of scrub bashing to do this walk.

Full trip report from 2007 here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=281&p=1741 (no details of route finding included though, as some people consider it to be a sensitive off-track area).
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 25 Sep, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby icefest » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 2:17 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:In Tasmania, "route" generally means no track.

I think it's similar in NZ.
Son of a Beach wrote:If you're not experienced with off track walking, do not attempt this walk.

This. No matter where, solo multi-day off-track walking is not a good idea without any prior experience.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Scottyk » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 6:48 pm

G'day AL and welcome to the forum.
Frenchamns Cap return is a great walk on its own. I understand the desire to do a circuit, I alway like to do a circuit too.
Maybe pick another walk if the desire is to do a circuit.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby vagrom » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 8:18 pm

Chapman offers info on this extension in his Cradle St Clair guide
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Mechanic-AL » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 9:38 pm

Excellent stuff. Just the sort of valuable info and advice I had hoped for. Frenchmans Cap to Vic Pass has not been put in the too hard basket yet but I think I need to do a bit more compass gazing and less time searching for pink ribbons before taking it on. The Frenchmans Cap and Irenabyss return is on for this spring/summer though. I can imagine a few people have read my comment about prefering to take my time and thought here's another mainland wanker intent on wandering off into the Tassie bush and becoming another search and rescue statistic. I just cant understand getting out and doing something so enjoyable and then blasting through it like your late for work?? Ive done the Southcoast Track twice and Scotts Peak to Federation Peak and back out the Yo-Yo track and loved every footstep of the way. Like most people venturing into the Tasmanian wilderness I am constantly wondering what the next big adventure could be. The walk out from Frenchmans Cap and on to Victoria pass defenitely got me wondering and as Scotty said it eliviated backtracking. Thank you all for keeping my feet AND my mind grounded!
Cheers

AL
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 6:50 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote: I just cant understand getting out and doing something so enjoyable and then blasting through it like your late for work?? AL
Couldn't agree more AL! :D
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes