Mt Ossa

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Ossa

Postby naturelover » Sat 21 Dec, 2013 8:11 pm

Perhaps you think this mountain is boring as everyone does it. This was possibly my attitude - and I had done it three times already - but this time we camped on top, and that night was one of the most beautiful nights of my whole life.
Check out the report on natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Ossa

Postby Tortoise » Sat 21 Dec, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi Naturelover,

Absolutely magnificent, majestic, wonderful. Good report, too.

Thanks for the concept of 'peak staring', which I love to do but didn't have a name for. You've inspired me to camp on top one day. I need to go back for the views anyway, so when good weather allows, it'll be up there on my list. I didn't think i'd bother with the big pack, but my mind is changed.

This is one of the many things I love about this site. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 21 Dec, 2013 9:06 pm

Camping on Ossa is good, if you carry out your poo, did you??
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby geoskid » Sat 21 Dec, 2013 9:50 pm

naturelover wrote:Perhaps you think this mountain is boring as everyone does it. This was possibly my attitude - and I had done it three times already - but this time we camped on top, and that night was one of the most beautiful nights of my whole life.
Check out the report on natureloverswalks.blogspot.com

G,day naturelover, I don't think Ossa Is borinng at all, and whilst I have never camped on top, it has a special meaning to our family. (as It probably has to many familys). It is the first walk that I took my two boys at the same time together on a walk on a 'mission' - and the mission was to climb the highest peak in Tas. It was a fantastic time of bonding and working together in a team (and the boys were 8 & 11 at the time) and I have shamelessly used this feat of theirs at report card time as an example of what they can do (and what I expect). Mixed results, but hey, they like doing *&%$#! with me
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 22 Dec, 2013 11:05 am

There is nothing boring about Ossa, especially if you take the time to explore all its associated ridges. The view from up there on a good day is almost as good as it gets (except for the SW).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tibboh » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 7:21 am

I'd have to agree with the responses above.....anything but a boring peak. It's an awesome peak, just try not to focus on the well worn path to the summit. It's got so much to offer. A while ago I went through the list of peaks I've climbed and discovered that Ossa was the first peak in Tas I climbed nearly 20 years ago! The attraction then was the obvious highest thing , but now it's part of a spectacular section of the reserve with superb views and alpine conditions....a must visit spot even if it wasn't Tassies tallest.
I think the well worn track and volume of traffic makes it a good peak in the right conditions ,to share with younger adventurers. I caught the bug from it and am planning a visit with my kids at some point. It's good to see your girl getting out there with you naturelover :D
Love the summer blooms but Hyperion over the saddle takes the cake for me...nice composition and light.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 7:43 am

So. Not. Boring. Great stuff!!!
:D
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby 11640 » Sat 04 Jan, 2014 7:41 pm

This is now high on my to-do list. Thanks for the inspiration and well done.
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby 11640 » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 4:25 pm

I did this on Saturday night and unfortunately the clouds came just before sunset and stuck around all night. So there was no sunset, no stars, no sunrise.... but I gotta admit there is something special waking up and having a coffee and then wandering over to the summit boulder and sitting up there for ages..... alone. Gladly there was no wind, no rain and no people to ruin it completely for me. The fact that the weather has a mind of it's own means I have to go back and do it again some time soon, even if that was my fourth time up there in 12 months.
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby naturelover » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 6:18 pm

Isn't that part of the appeal of nature? It's so elusive in one sense (and uncooperative to our wishes) - and so transient. We love aspects of it precisely because we know we are incredibly lucky to have had it turn out well - or according to our 'selfish' wishes. I don't love a plastic flower, as it is always there; a sighting of it is not special, and I designed its being there (except that I hate plastic, so wouldn't, but you know what I mean). I love the same flower that I rejected in plastic when it occurs in nature as I know I am so lucky to have found it as it comes when and where it will, and that if I came to the same spot even tomorrow, it may well be gone.
Good on you for giving it a go. I have yet to see the view from the top of many mountains I have summited, but that's just part of the game we play, and part of our respect for nature, that 'she' does not obey our wishes but has her own, grander agenda.
Good luck next time
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes