taking kids to walls of jerusalem

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

taking kids to walls of jerusalem

Postby nobreakin_mystride » Mon 23 Dec, 2013 11:06 pm

Has anyone has taken children into walls of jerusalem NP? We are taking our three hiking in Tassie in January and keen to go into WJ NP but wondering whether the walk in to Wild Dog campground is too steep... kids are 5,8,10 and fit, but still young. Plan to camp two nights at Wild Dog and do day walks then walk out. Anyone taken kids in and have some advice for me? thanks !
nobreakin_mystride
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: taking kids to walls of jerusalem

Postby philm » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 7:17 am

I have taken our children in there - they were about 10 at the time. The only steep part is the first 1 km after that the walk is relatively flat and easy.
I would not load the kids up with too much weight if they are carryng any packs etc. My 12 yr old did the walk in with about 10kg in a pack - she was fit though.
Day walks from wild dog are relatively straight forward and there is soem great country around WOJ.
We will be there in Janaury also but only at Wild Dog for 1 night.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby nobreakin_mystride » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 7:45 am

Thank you - I am so glad to hear that as we are really keen to go! Kids won't be too loaded and certainly fit enough for 1km effort. Cheers
nobreakin_mystride
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby simonm » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 8:00 am

As long as you are not in a hurry you should be fine. My daughter is nearly 4 and she is already asking to go into the WOJ. I am going to take her up as far as Trappers Hut as a day walk for a bit of a practice run.

Edit: Having said that the main thing I worry about with taking my kids in to places like WOJ is the weather, you need to be prepared for anything. Kids are more susceptible to hypothermia I believe, so care needs to be taken.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby tigercat » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 9:37 am

What a wonderful experience for children, a sunny summer trip to the WoJ.
The hypothermia risk needs to be managed, a good weather forecast and plenty of food, warm clothes and good waterproofs. Snow can fall in the WOJ at any time of year.
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nobreakin_mystride » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks both, agree the cold and wet need to be respected. We have good gear.. We are seasoned hikers just been waiting for the youngest to be ready for family o/n hikes. Can't wait.
nobreakin_mystride
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby taswegian » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 6:24 pm

Agree it's a place for young children.
Water is a necessity and it is recognised all water needs boiling.
I took 2 of our kids there from a young age. I think my daughter was about 5 when she first went.
They took small packs with a few necessary items. Warm clothing, Some snack food, torch, whistle.
A whistle is a must, an essential safety item.
If they looked a bit jaded then I would carry their pack.

Hope you have a great time. It is a truly fantastic place with many walks your children should find relatively easy.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby corvus » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 8:07 pm

[quote="taswegian"]Agree it's a place for young children.
Water is a necessity and it is recognised all water needs boiling.( snip) quote]
taswegian,
Do you really think that all water needs to boiled in WOJ ?? never have done so with no adverse effects nor have I heard of any problems ,am I out of date with my info ?what have you heard please .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby taswegian » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 9:05 pm

I have always drunk from where I deem safe. But looks can deceive.
Some people are more susceptible than others.
I've survived so far, probably from drinking tank water soaked in bird pooh :roll:

I was told no water any where in Tasmania is considered safe for drinking. That is the official statement from the health authorities.

Personally I would never drink water from Dixon's Kingdom area.
I'd be a bit suspect of Wild Dog Creek too.

Haven't heard of any issues up there.
I was thinking of three kids, two adults and that equates to a fair few drinks.
And the warning health authorities give on safe drinking water.
Don't be put off, just be cautious.
taswegian

Postby corvus » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:34 pm

taswegian,
Cannot believe the statement that no water anywhere in Tasmania is considered safe for drinking " just who are these friggin experts ??
Wild Dog Creek Camp site has a Tapped water source now and collecting water well up from Dixons Hut Camping area was also OK much improved since the new toilets were installed and as for most of if not all of flowing creeks I would personally drink the water as I do from many of our creeks,rivers and at times soaks in Tasssie with no adverse affects ever.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Scottyk » Thu 26 Dec, 2013 8:30 am

philm wrote:The only steep part is the first 1 km after that the walk is relatively flat and easy.

The steepish climb at the start goes for about 1.5 hours, once you get to trappers hut it starts to slowly flatten out shortly after. I would say with kids you looking at about 2.5 hours of uphill work. Maybe 1km is not quiet right, 3km is more accurate. The track is then a good track but still the normal rocks etc that you except walking anywhere in the bush. The tracks inside the Walls are mostly boardwalks and a lot of steps for climbing The Temple and Solomon's Throne. The Mount Jerusalem track is a bit rougher that the first 2 and a bit longer.
Get a copy of John Chapman's "Cradle Mountain Lake St Clair" book and this will give you a lot of good info plus some alternative if the weather looks foul and you do some day walks instead. Definitely study the forecast (I am sure you would) and make a call about wether you think it will be fun with the kids.
I have drunk water from both Wild Creek and Dixon's Kingdom on several occasions untreated and had no issues.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby eaglehawk » Thu 26 Dec, 2013 9:54 pm

Our youngest was not quite four when we walked into the Walls and he still rates it as his favourite walk ever.

We only filtered our water once when we thought it necessary, but each to their own as far as what you're prepared to risk, deal with or are used to.
eaglehawk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby philm » Fri 27 Dec, 2013 7:44 am

Yes probably a little bit longer than 1km stretch but still should not be an issue for fit children.
Regarding water we have drunk it from Wild Dog, Dixon's Kingdom (up the hill on the Mount Jerusalem track quite high there is a stream. I would not use water around Dixon's itself. Have never treated water in Tasmania but have been selective about where I take it from.
The trip from Wild Dog to the WOJ car park is about a 3 to 3.5 hour walk downhill so probably add another hour to go uphill. Either way if you take it steady and have some breaks there should be no issue with the children.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Fri 27 Dec, 2013 8:06 am

philm wrote:I would not use water around Dixon's itself.

Why not?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 8:08 am

Strider wrote:
philm wrote:I would not use water around Dixon's itself.

Why not?

Too many campers with unreliable habits. Might be better now, with the dunnies there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 6:36 am

At Christmas I used water from Trappers Hut, Dixons and the central Walls bowl. None was treated or boiled. There were no ill effects. Water was not carried at the Walls. There were heaps of children, but not many under, say 14 years-of-age. Once past Trappers Hut the rest is much easier. It's essential to have good gear and mental preparation.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes