Schnell's Ridge

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Schnell's Ridge

Postby bauera » Sun 29 Dec, 2013 10:22 pm

After dropping some walkers off at Scott's Peak for a Western Arthurs trip I decided to head up Schnell's Ridge for the rest of the day. Got away at Red Tape Creek on the Lake Judd Track about 12pm on a warm and lovely day. A few clouds to the west but not particularly threatening. As I approached the Anne River I disturbed one very black snake, basking beside the track, which must have disliked the look of me more than I did it, as it disappeared into the shrubbery very promptly. Shortly thereafter noticed that the duckboards had been removed very close to the Anne River and came across two PWS employees apparently doing maintenance on the bridge. Thankfully they weren't dismantling the bridge so I was able to cross with dry feet and was assured it would still be there on my return. Duckboards on that section of the walk appear quite old and in poor condition but I did not get a straight answer about whether they are replacing or just removing the old boards. Further on I was surprised to find bauera encroaching on the track in a lightly forested section. It's not too bad now but a few years growth might tempt me to take secateurs next time.
Somewhat to my surprise i found a clearly marked pad heading off up the ridge after about 40-50 minutes walking. The pad continued, pretty clear all the way to the top, and in the higher, more alpine, sections reminded me that a fan out policy was once recommended to minimise pad development. The pad gets quite boggy in places.
It was steep up those first hills and I paused for breath a few times. Christmas Bells provided some colour amongst the light scrub but chiefly the vegetation was button grass. I was sucking in plenty of water in the heat of the day and wondered whether I would have enough to see me through. I had 3.25 litres with me and ended up using 2.5 litres on the climb up but less than 500ml on the way back.
Despite a forecast weather change early to mid afternoon the weather stayed sunny and clear. A small tarn, nestled in a moraine ridge (could be Moraine Tarn) was a stunning sight in the sunlight and nearby Lake Judd and Eliza/Anne massif kept drawing the eye. The Western Arthurs, to the southwest, provided a more distant counterpoint. Walking along those high ridges had a very "Sound of Music" feel to it and I expected to find masses of Edelweiss and be accosted by hordes of singing nuns at any moment. Thankfully neither actually happened.
On attaining the penultimate ridge top, with the view across to the twin peaks of Schnell's Ridge, my enthusiasm was renewed. My tired legs found extra vigour to descend to the saddle and then climb the slopes to scramble up the rocky ramparts of the small summits. The wind became quite strong and gusty around 2.30pm and gave an additional reason for being cautious when scrambling on steep rock.
The southern summit gives a fantastic view over the valley of the Anne River, the hills on the other side of that valley and the Western and Eastern Arthurs to Federation. Further east, Mt Bobs, Mt Picton and Adamson's Peak stood out and I thought I could discern PB somewhere there too. Striding purposefully across the delightful alpine plateau/saddle between the two peaks I next scrambled up the northern summit and out along its craggy ridge for the fun of it. Mt Weld drew the eye to the east and Sarah Jane, Lot and the Anne group to the north were impossible to ignore.
Next was a short detour for a better view of Smiths Tarn in the valley below. I was tempted by the connecting ridge across to the peak to the immediate north but decided to forego that pleasure in anticipation of returning home to Hobart in time for dinner and a cold one or two.
Return trip, via the same route (I decided to pass on the delights of the round trip via Lake Judd Mud Track) was about 0.75 hour shorter than the outward journey, time saving contributed to by many less photo stops and breathers. The weather stayed good and the forecast change did not come in with any force until later in the evening.
Unfortunately I left my camera behind at the Red Tape Creek carpark, or nearby, so cannot post any of the many fantabulous and amazing images I captured. I have posted a "Lost" notice on this forum and remain hopeful that some kind soul will return it to me. I went back to get it but 'twas gone.
Schnell's Ridge is a lovely, open ridge walk which is easily done in a day. The route is not marked after the turn off from LJT but there is a pad most of the way and navigation is straightforward in good weather.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Schnell's Ridge

Postby tibboh » Mon 30 Dec, 2013 6:40 am

Thanks for that report Bauera, one of the best short walk reports I've read. It's a wonderful part of the state no doubt about it. My heart sank as I read the last paragraph, realising there were no photos to drool over. You probably feel worse though having lost your camera. If it's waterproof it may just survive and turn up........stranger things have happened.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bluewombat » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi Bauera
I was up there on Schnell's last Sunday and had a look around but alas no camera to be found
To make up for your lack of photos I have posted a few of my own fairly poor ones, the twin summits, a view of one side of a tarn and a particularly fine set of lichens on a pink background
cheers
bw

Twin Peaks panorama_Medium.jpg

2014-01-19_14-02-33_328_Medium.jpg

2014-01-19_14-12-00_981_Medium.jpg
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 6:40 pm

Moraine Tarn is below Smith's. The one you were goggling at was probably Frog Tarn. Nice little thing.

No camera in sight last Wednesday/Thursday (I spent the Wednesday night up top. Magical) Someone is probably toasting their luck right now.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes