Perrins Bluff, Mt Achilles and Mt Thetis

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Perrins Bluff, Mt Achilles and Mt Thetis

Postby naturelover » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm sure it's character building to experience a variety of approaches to a mountain and not always take the path of least resistance. I'm not sure what it says about one's character when such a path is taken in both directions, but whatever it says, that's what our group did. The path from Frog Flats to Leonard's Tarn is not one of life's pleasures, but it certainly does get you to a beautiful spot and it does eventually end. Certainly our way back, where we stuck to a more easterly course (staying to the east of the creek from Leonard's Tarn for over a kilometre at the start of our descent) was easier going than the route there, where we headed up a broad spur sometimes over 500ms to the west of the return route. On that route, once we'd climbed a (very beautiful) cliff, we entered a patch of bush that fought back like a champ. The fight seemed interminable.

For a discussion of the rest of the journey, where we dumped the heavy packs at Leonard's Tarn and then climbed Perrin's Bluff and Achilles that afternoon, and Thetis the next morning before descending back to Frog Flats, see my blog at natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Perrins Bluff, Mt Achilles and Mt Thetis

Postby stepbystep » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 3:00 pm

I do wonder why people take this route when there is an excellent pad up to Paddy's Nut especially when they are climbing Thetis anyway...are you a member of the Pandani Club?
They seem to do this with regularity...the route up to Paddy's is far more interesting/scenic and requires no backtracking.

Anyways, nice images as always from a lovely area.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tibboh » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 7:09 pm

Love your work naturelover.....you sure do get about. Another great report and photos, I especially liked the one from Achilles with the Heel in front of a regal Pelion West. I'd have to agree with SBS in that you added alot of time, effort and pain from the sounds of it by going down to Frog Flats instead of turning off up near the hut.
Looking forward to your next report.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tigercat » Sun 19 Jan, 2014 5:14 am

great photos and trip account, such a wonderful area
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides