Macs Mountain

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Macs Mountain

Postby naturelover » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 11:08 pm

The map makes it look really easy - just a contourless plateau, then a nice ridge line, a hump, a saddle and then up. Fun. The Abels book mentions a little scrub en passant, but makes no big deal about it. The reality was a lovely plateau walk along the top of Walled Mountain, a ridge line with mighty drops between many boulders so that the less agile members of our party needed time and care and help to negotiate the challenges, then a plunge to the saddle that some found rather nervy. And then the hard bit began - the bashing through VERY thick scrub. The final climb up an almost sheer pile of boulders was a breeze, and the most enjoyable part of all, even though it looked rather daunting from a distance.
For more details and a fuller report (and the good news that the return journey was much easier - slightly different route through the scrub), see my full report plus pictures on natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Macs Mountain

Postby eggs » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 9:32 am

Very nice.
But the start paragraph has me confused. You ended up at Elysia, but you mention a lot of scrub cul-de-sacs during that day?
Did you go up via the old track from Pine Valley directly to the Pool of Memories?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:23 am

naturelover wrote:The map makes it look really easy - just a contourless plateau, then a nice ridge line, a hump, a saddle and then up. Fun. The Abels book mentions a little scrub en passant, but makes no big deal about it. The reality was a lovely plateau walk along the top of Walled Mountain, a ridge line with mighty drops between many boulders so that the less agile members of our party needed time and care and help to negotiate the challenges, then a plunge to the saddle that some found rather nervy. And then the hard bit began - the bashing through VERY thick scrub. The final climb up an almost sheer pile of boulders was a breeze, and the most enjoyable part of all, even though it looked rather daunting from a distance.

Yes. I think the Abels essays were written when the scrub had been recently burnt and was a lot less trouble. And it doesn't even mention that rocky ridgeline - great fun but totally unexpected.
But it is a lovely little mountain, and a very satisfying beast to knock off.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby naturelover » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:56 am

I agree NNW, and the climb up the rocks was just super fun.
HOWEVER, I feel totally put off Nereus, and I will need to be a pretty desperate woman before I volunteer for that one. I had wanted to save a lovely little Abel for my last one (something like Legges Tor, which I have intentionally omitted) so I could in theory celebrate the end with friends, but now I think I'll save horrid ones for the end, knowing that the chances are I'll never get all the Abels anyway. How sad.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes