Southern Ranges

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Southern Ranges

Postby JimmyJo » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 1:07 am

Hi All,

Heading off next week and intend to walk Southern Ranges - PB - SCT - Melaleuca. Does anyone have any recent info on the conditions along the Southern Ranges (Pindars Peak to Low Camp)?

Am aware of the recent fire at Moonlight Flats and the reopening of this section of the park.

Cheers.

JJ.
JimmyJo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Southern Ranges

Postby farefam » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 1:49 pm

Conditions were very dry prior to the storm on Feb 9; probably still are, so you'd best carry 2 litres of water most of the way (particularly from Scoparia Saddle to PB). The track from just past Pindars Peak to PB is very scrubby in places and often very narrow/overgrown. Not too difficult to follow other than in the saddle just before climbing onto the moraine leading to PB low camp. Big boulders and thick scrub are also very slow to traverse on the first part of that moraine. As an aside; I was stuck at PB high camp during the wild storm on Feb 9. The storm damaged for the first time ever my normally bulletproof Macpac Olympus tent (2 bent tent poles and three snapped elastic vestibule peg straps. The turbulence and wind speed (was recorded at 130kph at Maatsuyker Island that day) was quite incredible; the worst I have encountered in over 20 years of walking in Tasmania so it's definitely best to keep away from PB high camp in high winds (I was day 5 into my hike and hence had no warning of the severity of the weather that hit me). The descent from PB to New River Lagoon is reasonably marked and took 4 and a quarter hours, though you have to take care with your footing on the lower part of the limestone karst ridge. The wade around the lagoon is shallow and quick at low tide; only needing to cross two of the creeks on a log near the point where the lagoon narrows in. Tremendous views from PB, but a lot of sweat to get there via the Southern Ranges.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 2:03 pm

Wow, farefarm, I had much better weather when I was there. Were you using standard tent pags with the Olympus? I'm surprised they didn't come out first.

As an aside, going from cavern camp to High Camp is very difficult as the track has large amount of false leads when taken in reverse.
As farefarm said the footing on the karst ridge is type two fun. I fell into a completly hidden fern covered solution tube that was 1.5m deep.
You will also find no water once on the descending spur.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 2:13 pm

icefest wrote:Wow, farefarm, I had much better weather when I was there. Were you using standard tent pags with the Olympus? I'm surprised they didn't come out first.

As an aside, going from cavern camp to High Camp is very difficult as the track has large amount of false leads when taken in reverse.
As farefarm said the footing on the karst ridge is type two fun. I fell into a completely hidden fern covered solution tube that was 1.5m deep.

Heyyy, Maarrrrrk!!!! You aren't alone any more.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby farefam » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 2:33 pm

The turbulence/wind was so intense the vestibule pegs pulled out first, so I hopped out of the tent, repegged it (I was using extra thick pegs) and then in desperation weighed the vestibule strap pegs down with some heavy rocks. This proved a mistake as the wind strengthened even more to the point where the tent flapping was moving the heavy rocks about, abrading the elastic straps which then snapped (the ones I didn't put rocks on managed to survive the storm). So a lesson learnt, and my well being saved by the design skills of the team at Macpac. Thankfully the two shorter aluminium tent poles bent during the storm rather than snapped, so my tent will be off to Remote Repairs in Melbourne for repairs after my next hike. If this site can host a video I might post an in-tent video (during a lull) so you get a better idea of what the experience was like. Not happy, Jan sums it up though.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JimmyJo » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. We got turned around on this route in December 1995 (gales / snow etc) around Leaning Tea Tree Saddle area.

Its been on the list for a while - will report back on our return in early March.

Thanks again!
JimmyJo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 5:45 pm

north-north-west wrote:
icefest wrote:Wow, farefarm, I had much better weather when I was there. Were you using standard tent pags with the Olympus? I'm surprised they didn't come out first.

As farefarm said the footing on the karst ridge is type two fun. I fell into a completely hidden fern covered solution tube that was 1.5m deep.

Heyyy, Maarrrrrk!!!! You aren't alone any more.

hahahaha wow!! Someone else did the same thing... I still have the scar on my forehead (and a pic on the forum somewhere) to prove it!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 5:52 pm

I was quite lucky not to have anything happen.

I just needed help getting out.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 5:54 pm

I was walking solo, and lucky not to pass out.

Bled all the way to Prion Beach...

Have been both ways on this one, the track can be lost easy enough in either direction.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby baldhead » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 1:03 pm

Look forward to reading your trip report
baldhead
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum