Western Arthurs plus Mt Robinson (etc)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Western Arthurs plus Mt Robinson (etc)

Postby naturelover » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 9:41 am

I have my old photos; I have seen those of others. Nothing, however, can quite succeed in conveying the wonder and glory of the view that begins near the top of alpha moraine and continues with you as you delight your way along the ridgeline of the range. It’s not just that you can see “forever” (so it seems), or that the mountains that form layer after layer of graduated silhouettes are so shapely: part of the allure is from changing focus from infinity to macro and still finding wonder. For me, the rocks are particularly appealing. Some are piles of pancakes; some have been twisted and warped, while others jut sharply into the sky. Some are soft grey, others pure white; some have a hint of pink.

For the rest of the story, and more photos, turn to my blogsite natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
Attachments
IMG_9396.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Western Arthurs plus Mt Robinson (etc)

Postby stepbystep » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 12:34 pm

Quite the trip there naturelover and nice to meet you ever so briefly at Scotts Peak.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 2:17 pm

Hmmm looks lovely- not quite the view I had from the top of Moraine A- gale, sleet, hale.... Brrrr. Would love to see it like that :)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 3:56 pm

Eye candy, range after range fading into the distance.....lovely shot. :mrgreen:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 4:08 pm

Good report on your blog Louise. Did you see the quolls at Lake Cygnus?

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby naturelover » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks all for the kind words.
No, Dave, I didn't see the quolls. We were scared of mice eating our tent (which happened to a friend recently), so put big protective measures into place to prevent that - I wrapped all my food in an airtight S to S bag, rolled over to avoid smell of food, and then had that in my pack in my tent. Great mate to sleep with, but not as soft as a Teddy Bear. Perhaps the lack of smell made quolls lose interest and not approach.
I was up (and out) playing around the lake until well into dark, and then up in the half dark to climb each morning as said in the blog, but, alas, no quolls. We did, however, see a darling one at Crossing River. It came up to within a metre of me, and put its paws on a branch behind me so that it almost had the stance of a marmot or prairie dog. Unfortunately, my eagerness to get my camera out of the bag beside me was enough to scare it away, and it didn't return. My memory, however, will last despite the lack of digital reinforcement.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 9:00 pm

naturelover wrote:Thanks all for the kind words.
No, Dave, I didn't see the quolls. We were scared of mice eating our tent (which happened to a friend recently), so put big protective measures into place to prevent that - I wrapped all my food in an airtight S to S bag, rolled over to avoid smell of food, and then had that in my pack in my tent. Great mate to sleep with, but not as soft as a Teddy Bear. Perhaps the lack of smell made quolls lose interest and not approach.
I was up (and out) playing around the lake until well into dark, and then up in the half dark to climb each morning as said in the blog, but, alas, no quolls. We did, however, see a darling one at Crossing River. It came up to within a metre of me, and put its paws on a branch behind me so that it almost had the stance of a marmot or prairie dog. Unfortunately, my eagerness to get my camera out of the bag beside me was enough to scare it away, and it didn't return. My memory, however, will last despite the lack of digital reinforcement.

We saw the crossing river Quoll too :D

We might have been there when your friends tent got eaten through. Did this person have two holes in their WE tent? One where the rat went in and another where; after refusing to go out of the unzipped door; it made a hole to get out?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby naturelover » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 7:28 am

That sounds like an accurate description of what I heard. It was a couple of weeks ago. I think around the end of January or so.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tibboh » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 8:16 am

A magical part of the world.........even more so with good weather, thanks for sharing.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:52 am

naturelover wrote:That sounds like an accurate description of what I heard. It was a couple of weeks ago. I think around the end of January or so.

Yes. That's the same time as us.
Are they on the forum? I wouldn't mind asking them hope they found the second half of the Ranges.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes