Mt Nicholas

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Nicholas

Postby naturelover » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 9:07 am

How has this fabulous mountain stayed under the radar? I can't find a report on it anywhere, and yet my husband and I had a marvellous time trying to climb it yesterday. We adored it, even though we could ultimately only get to being within about 2 horizontal metres of the summit - so said my gps - but that happened to be 40 vertical metres from same. This was a mountain full of challenges and adventure (with a plethora of false summits, many of which we explored). Having not found any information, I just assumed it would be a breeze and not worth writing about, and wore sneakers instead of boots - a grave error. I'm even taking a bit of rope next time I give it a try. Maybe I was just a wuss. Having the wrong shoes made me feel very insecure on footholds about a centimetre wide with a substantial drop if I fell. For a fuller report with photos, please click in to natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Nicholas

Postby naturelover » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 1:15 pm

I have just added a gps record of our circlings of the summit area, which I don't believe I'm allowed to post here. The gps says we were on it at one point, but it is unfortunately mistaken. The squiggles of blue that surround the summit triangle tell their own story, nonetheless. Just remember that between one footstep and the next lies a 40 metre drop. Does throwing a stone and hitting the summit try count?
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 3:08 pm

Mt Nicholas in the NE? There is an easy/short approach from the north. I think our group did this in around 2-3 hrs.

I do have a friend who tells of a similar attempt to yours however, if you want details of the easier way, feel free to PM me :-)
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 3:51 pm

There are plenty of forestry roads that get to within a km or two of the summit. Must be nasty country if it's that hard to climb.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby naturelover » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 4:05 pm

"Nasty". No way. Didn't you read the blog? It was fantastic, but as challenging as if you were an ant trying to decide from below which of the lego pieces standing on its end was the highest, and then climbing an assortment and finding yourself wrong on each occasion, but not able to just step across to the next one because of the gulch between where you were and where you wanted to be.
As said in the report, we were within cooey after 30 mins, and spent the next 45 trying to get the last few metres, but not because it was "nasty"; rather, because it offered a challenge that we failed to adequately answer. I don't consider a mere 45 mins as time wasted when we were playing with the environment and enjoying ourselves.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 4:12 pm

Yeah, I read it, but . . . oh, never mind. Too hard to explain.

I do have one question, but - you said you looked for information, but I don't recall you posting a question in here. Given there are so many people here who have knocked off so many peaks in Tassie wouldn't this be the obvious place to bring your search? The forum is for things other than links to blogs, you know.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby naturelover » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 4:21 pm

There were no posts for it. It was hardly a venture planned weeks in advance, but I searched for other people's postings, and found no information, so decided it was unnecessary. It is very often the case that I decide on the venue for a walk the night before: I do not live life on a time-tabled schedule. If having fun is the aim of the game rather than collecting a precious point, then all is well that ended well, and I now have an alternative route to try out for next time. My own post meanwhile tells others who may follow a bit about the area should they want to go there, and they can PM me for further information. The photos also provide information on what the area looks like, which many appreciate.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 11:45 pm

You should check "the game" to see if a picture was posted. Sometimes they discuss aspects of walks at the time.

eg http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2307&p=165247&hilit=nicholas#p165247
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby PeterJ » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 4:21 pm

north-north-west wrote: ..... you said you looked for information, but I don't recall you posting a question in here........wouldn't this be the obvious place to bring your search? The forum is for things other than links to blogs, you know.

I think your post is discourteous and most uncalled for north-north-west. It was a jolly nice post from naturelover and I enjoyed reading it.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tigercat » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 4:27 pm

naturelover wrote:There were no posts for it. It was hardly a venture planned weeks in advance, but I searched for other people's postings, and found no information, so decided it was unnecessary. It is very often the case that I decide on the venue for a walk the night before: I do not live life on a time-tabled schedule. If having fun is the aim of the game rather than collecting a precious point, then all is well that ended well, and I now have an alternative route to try out for next time. My own post meanwhile tells others who may follow a bit about the area should they want to go there, and they can PM me for further information. The photos also provide information on what the area looks like, which many appreciate.

I appreciated your post and I also like your blog which inspired me to climb Mt Farrell.
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes