City to Summit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

City to Summit

Postby whynotwalk » Fri 02 May, 2014 3:03 pm

Despite having lived in Hobart for most of the last 34 years, I'd never walked from the city to the summit of kunanyi/Mt Wellington. There are so many lovely walks to do all over the mountain that I'd always been happy just doing those. See, for instance, the recent discussion here http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16916

Finally last Sunday I decided to do the city to summit in one go. There were some lovely complications, not least that three of my grandchildren wanted to join me for parts of the walk. And then there were the car shuffles, plus food, water and route-finding issues. But what proved the most involving was the incredible depth of stories I found all along my route. I went out for a walk and came back with a million questions!

As far as possible we followed the Hobart Rivulet, starting in Collins Street, going up the Hobart Rivulet Park to Cascade Brewery. The newish Cascade Track took us up to the top of Old Farm Rd and then various fire trails until we found the Lower Sawmill Track. That led to Sphinx Rock (a great lunch stop for three generations of family!) After lunch it was back to the Sawmill Track, then the Organ Pipes and Zig Zag Tracks, before my eldest granddaughter and I topped out on kunanyi's summit about 6 hours after I'd started. As you'd imagine, it wasn't a race, given the presence of young'uns. But that suited my inclination to stop and take lots of photos.

I've started telling more of the story on my blog here http://www.naturescribe.com/2014/05/from-city-to-summit-2-not-easily-tamed.html It will continue for a while yet, I suspect.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: City to Summit

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 06 May, 2014 2:31 pm

Did you know the Cascade Brewery was an idea dreamed up by its founder while he was in prison? That's just one of the intriguing tales I came across while doing my city to summit walk last week. At times the history of the area's past is as turbulent as the Hobart Rivulet will be once today's snow melts. (Glad my walk wasn't THIS week!!)

I've posted the next part of the story here http://www.naturescribe.com/2014/05/city-to-summit-3-cascade-connection.html

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: City to Summit

Postby skog » Wed 07 May, 2014 6:52 pm

I didn't know that about the brewery. I wish I had done one of the HCC tours of the canals when they ran them.
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes