Higgs Track to Lake Nameless, Ironstone Hut

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Higgs Track to Lake Nameless, Ironstone Hut

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 07 Oct, 2007 12:07 pm

The walk didn't go quite according to plan (but that's not my story to tell ;) ), but still had a great walk, in good walking conditions. Ie, overcast and cold, but hardly a breath of wind. Reasonable amount of snow about on the higher areas.

I didn't take many photos, but I wanted to post a few here to test out the new "Gallery" software I've installed on my personal website.

Lady Lake Hut
DSCF2561.jpg
DSCF2561.jpg (127.43 KiB) Viewed 16985 times

The creek which flows the short distance from Lake Nameless to Snake Lake taken from where the track crosses it.
(It is 1 of 2 major creeks which flow into Snake Lake, out of which flows Explorer creek, which joins Fisher River at Lake McKenzie, which I was originally planning to cross the next day, but thankfully I just walked back out Higgs Track instead).
DSCF2563.jpg
DSCF2563.jpg (138.79 KiB) Viewed 16985 times

Ironstone Hut
DSCF2564.jpg
DSCF2564.jpg (106.38 KiB) Viewed 16985 times

Lake Nameless from Ironstone Hut
DSCF2569.jpg
DSCF2569.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 16985 times
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Sun 07 Oct, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kantonysen » Sun 07 Oct, 2007 7:13 pm

Great shots Nik. The swollen creek had me thinking when retreating from a planned crossing, that you would not want to be confronted by that creek, if you were planning on staying at the hut without carrying in a tent, and with little day light left.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 07 Oct, 2007 7:50 pm

Too right. I had everything with me (tent and all, even though I wasn't planning on using it). :-) Did you notice my foot prints wandering about in the snow before the creek? I was looking for the best place to cross. I eventually got the map out to confirm exactly where the marked track was actually supposed to cross it, and that was certainly the easiest spot I could find.

My legs are rather sore today, after trudging through all the snow.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kantonysen » Sun 07 Oct, 2007 8:59 pm

I thought you'd have to be pretty tired, I was very lucky to be able to literally follow in your footsteps, even so was very sore and tired when I got home. I saw your foot prints near the creek but couldn't see where you crossed.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 08 Oct, 2007 7:10 am

Did you have a chance to cast out a line? Catch any fish?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kantonysen » Mon 08 Oct, 2007 5:02 pm

I didn't see a single trout so did not bother setting up my rod at L Nameless. I went back to Lake Weston and while having lunch continued to look out for trout with the same result.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Speculator » Tue 09 Oct, 2007 9:05 am

Heya Nik, great photos! :)

After 2-3 days of walking through the snow I was hurting on Monday morning too. It looked great up there with all the snow about, but it makes for tough walking sometimes. It snowed some more early on Sunday morning too.

I tried a little fishing late on Saturday while I was up there, just to test out my new gear, but got nothing for my troubles (didn't really expect to though).
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Speculator » Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:59 am

I've just uploaded a few photos I took on this particular trip (hope you dont mind me jumping in on your thread Nik). They're in our gallery here.

L8r.

P.S. Yes, the bird is *inside* the hut. I shouldn't have left the door open it seems! ;)
Last edited by Speculator on Sun 17 Apr, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 15 Oct, 2007 2:43 pm

Nice shots Speculator... looks like it was a bit chilly the next day! Did you have any trouble persuading that currawong to leave when dinner time came around?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Speculator » Mon 15 Oct, 2007 3:11 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Nice shots Speculator... looks like it was a bit chilly the next day! Did you have any trouble persuading that currawong to leave when dinner time came around?

He/she had to be encouraged out of the hut before dinnertime on account of its leaving a deposit on the floor. Luckily the birds up there don't seem to be too bothered with us humans and it didn't seem greatly bothered by my carrying it outside. It made me think that they'd make great pets though! ;)

L8r.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby kantonysen » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 9:12 am

Outlet creek from Lake Nameless when not flooded, taken 10/11/'07. Taken looking towards Lake Nameless, rather than towards Snake Lake as in Nik's photo of flooded creek.

kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 2:15 pm

wow... I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like if I'd slipped off those rocks (which were nearly knee deep at the time), it would have been a bit deeper than I expected. Maybe I wouldn't have crossed it if I'd seen your photo first! :)
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Mon 12 Nov, 2007 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kantonysen » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 8:56 pm

If there were good anchor points, a rope across the creek would be useful for when the levels are up.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Mon 12 Nov, 2007 4:30 pm

Which begs the question who carries a rope?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kantonysen » Mon 12 Nov, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi walkinTas
I was thinking more of a permanent rope across the outfall creek, Like I stated in a previous post, if the creek is flooding and its late in the day and your without a tent; then your in a difficult position. I suppose you could follow the Eastern Shore to the hut, a pretty long detour.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Saab » Mon 12 Nov, 2007 7:05 pm

if the creek is flooding and its late in the day and your without a tent; then your in a difficult position. I suppose you could follow the Eastern Shore to the hut, a pretty long detour.
Keith

It would be better to follow the river down to the right, towards Snake Lake and then around the lake and then up over to the hut.
The creek from Snake Lake to Explorer is a little easier to cross.. even in flood :wink: :wink:
Saab
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby walkinTas » Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:01 am

kantonysen wrote:Hi walkinTas
I was thinking more of a permanent rope across the outfall creek.
Keith

It would be nice. But I figure Parks aren't keen to encourage people to walk off the main tracks. I was surprised, for example, to find the old track to Mt. Pillinger was closed (probably has been for a long time).

Maybe there is a safety issue with putting ropes across fords. It might encourage less experienced people to try to cross when it really isn't safe to do so.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes