Mt Scott

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Scott

Postby naturelover » Fri 16 May, 2014 8:42 pm

Mt Scott is a gem of a little mountain, with almost parklike broad ground as you walk the untracked kilometre and a half from where the pad sets you down (a visitors book and cairn. I think in nice weather there might be a view from here. I plan on going back to test out my theory) to the black mark on the map denoting the summit, which has a trig. The highest point is on the way there, between visitors' book cairn and summit trig, on a different knoll. Low down there are lush ferns, higher up a band of pepper berry bushes, and then melaleucas set in scrub less grass. Fungi abound.
For more pictures, detailed instructions on how to get there, and for the route itself, you can turn to my blog natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
Attachments
Scott 19 open forest on top, stretching for 1km.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Scott

Postby Tortoise » Fri 16 May, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and gorgeous images, nl.

Mt Scott now on my list too. Maybe you can wait for me for your return visit? :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Fri 16 May, 2014 10:01 pm

Sure thing.
I've seasoned every meal with fresh pepperberries since that walk. I was warned that the leaves are quite strong. They don't seem so at first, but, despite having cleaned my teeth since dinner, I am finding it hard to get the taste out of my mouth. My coffee tasted awful after dinner. I think the aftertaste must be very,very strong. So, if you go down to the woods some day without me, beware of using the leaves as well as the berries. :lol:
The berries, on the other hand, are wonderful, and the smell of the trees in the forest was fantastic.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Mon 30 Jan, 2017 11:50 pm

As naturelover says, it is a gem of a little mountain despite being very leechy.

Nearly 3 years since last visit it's time to return, but I would appreciate any more recent info on the road in. It was suitable for 2WD, though uncomfortably slushy a bit further on (we over-shot start of track on first visit).

Has anyone been in recently?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby naturelover » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 6:16 am

I redid it only a couple of months ago, and the road was no problem at all. Have fun
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks Louise that's reassuring. Strange how rarely it's mentioned on this forum. It seems that anything in the NE other than Victoria, Albert and Saddleback don't rate much interest.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes