Mt Bowes

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Bowes

Postby naturelover » Mon 26 May, 2014 8:50 am

I signed up to go to Mt Bowes because it was in the south west, so must by definition be good, not really knowing what or quite where it was. I assumed it would all be off track, and mostly button grass followed by alpine vegetation later.
As the day grew nearer I discovered there was actually a pad. As we drove there, I discovered that this "pad" (VERY indistinct nowadays and not to be relied upon) is part of the historic trail cut from Fitzgerald to Port Davey by Edward Alexander Marsden in 1898. That gave the whole experience a new flavour. In addition, the rainforest that we walked through for the first few kilometres was absolutely glorious and of course, at this time of year, colourful fungi were in abundance. The weather prevented a truly grand view, but we had enough tantalising hints of what could be there on a better day for me to stick it right up high on my "I will return to this spot" list. Besides, my husband missed out. I have to go back to show him this beautiful spot.
For more report and photos, see my blog natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
Attachments
IMG_0253.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Bowes

Postby Graham51 » Mon 26 May, 2014 3:32 pm

When I was in the Hobart Walking Club, about 25 years ago I guess, we did some track clearing on the same route you took. I remember parts of the old Port Davey Track were completely grown over at that time but we did end up making the track negotiable and got to the top of Mt Bowes. It would be interesting to see what it's like now.
The fungi on your blog were very pretty, especially the green ones. Beautiful, in fact.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Mt Bowes

Postby Snowybob » Wed 28 May, 2014 3:51 pm

As a member of the Hobart Walking Club we often had track clearing trips to Mt Bowes along Marsdens track. Once you get past Hoods camp the going was fairly easy years ago but I can vouch for the fact that the scrub over the saddle further up the track is tough.
Snowybob
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes