Frenchmans Cap

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Frenchmans Cap

Postby tigercat » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 2:41 pm

Clear and mild weather at the start of winter and excellent huts attracted me to Frenchmans. I saw one other walker over 5 days. He was walking out as I went in after camping on the top of the cap.
Day I Drove to the car park with cloud over the Overland Track peaks and walked to lake Vera. The new track is so much more pleasant and at least 1/2 hr faster. Dry boots in and out. The cloud lifted in the afternoon to reveal Frechmans Cap and her satellites. The Vera hut was in immaculate condition, plenty of coal for the heater.
Day 2 walked through the rainforest to Barron Pass and enjoyed the spectacular views, the White Needle and Philps gendarmes, the white cliffs of Sharlands , Frenchmans and Clytemnestra, way below the tarns all named after the early explorers' women. A great spot for cowboy coffee. Sidled under Sharlands to reach Tahune early afternoon.
After a rest I walked around to the SE face and had great admiration for the first rock climbers to climb on this intimidating cliff. The pocket heater worked a treat and there was plenty of coal.
Day 3 climbed up the cap, the summit was sunny and frosty. Dropped off on the W side looking for the Abel's route To Clytemnestra but did not see anything very appealing on a short frosty winters day. Returned to the hut, detouring on the way to the Lions Head and the start of the track to the Irenabyss. Relaxed in the hut in the afternoon.
Day 4 climbed Sharlands on the way back to Vera. Really enjoyed the easy but excitingly exposed ascent on the imposing Sharlands cliffs. A good place to remember how you got to the top, my GPS breadcrumbs led me faithfully down the same way. Different views of the surrounding peaks from here. The local wombat visited Vera hut in the evening.
Day 5 walked up onto the top of the first ridge towards Agamemnon from Rumney flats on the way back to the car park. Rather scrubby around the cliffs but the terrain looked much easier from the ridge line on and very inviting. Got back to the car park and my car would not start. Flat battery! Left an indicator on, out of mobile range, whoops. 2 minutes later I flagged down an elderly couple driving past. These good Samaritans push started me and refused to allow me to pay for their icecreams at the Hungry Wombat where we subsequently met. Lucky escape, very glad not to have been in this situation at the Arm river car park and many other trailheads!
A wonderful 5 days and many places to return to explore.
056d.jpg
Sharlands Peak
085d.jpg
Lions Head and the track to the irenabyss
095d.jpg
Valley mist from the summit
111d.jpg
Here she is
167d.jpg
Clavulinopsis sulcata
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Frenchmans Cap

Postby tibboh » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 3:06 pm

Sounds like you nearly had the perfect five days mate. Sure is some imposing quartzite out that way.
Bet you don't leave the indicator on again any time soon. Great photos and thanks for sharing.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 3:19 pm

Nice to get such good conditions there this time of year.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 4:09 pm

Nice!

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby skog » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 4:44 pm

What a great 5 days :)
This is on my spring list of walks
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 5:14 pm

ooooooo tc. Trying hard to not be green with envy! maybe, maybe, maybe there'll be another window somewhere when I'm free to do it. Gorgeous, inspiring photos, thanks! :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 9:45 pm

Sounds a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 9:27 pm

Great trip report and pics. Thanks for sharing.
Frank
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes