Owen, King William I and Rufus

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Owen, King William I and Rufus

Postby naturelover » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 8:55 pm

I have just read whynotwalk's prompting about what other forum members did on the long weekend (Lovely to meet you, Peter).
My walk did not end up being the one intended due to a ridiculous incident of biting on a cherry seed in between farewelling Peter and starting on the walk a few minutes later. (The wound created got infected and exacerbated by a boiling hot cup of chocolate from the Hungry Wombat. The burn blister was so huge it got infected [as well as the tooth] and I am still in pain and on antibiotics trying to get facial swelling down. Not fun).
So, I backed out of being with others where I might spoil their fun, and set off solo. First I had fun exploring a tiny walk by the Franklin (Keep out, warned the signs), and then Nelson Falls (You might SLIP warned the signs), until I got to Mt Owen, where I ignored a third sign warning me not to trespass, and climbed the worthy mountain, rather enjoying the anarchy of the day.
The second day was much less mutinous, but not lacking in adventure. In the morning I climbed Mt King William I, but unfortunately forgot my skates, but had fun anyway on the newly improvised rink at the top (and GREATLY enjoyed the decking of thick ice on everything). In the afternoon, I climbed Rufus with tent etc, figuring I'd make a final decision about sleeping quarters at the top. The mountain made the decision for me by suddenly snap freezing just as I was approaching the summit. Retreat was impossible, as it wasn't just the icing on top that froze, it was the whole thing. I retreated to just below the Gingerbread House and spent the rest of the night battling the ice stalactites attacking me in the tent. For more detail of my adventure, and photos, please turn to http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.au/ (Heading, Mts King William! and Rufus. Mt Owen is a different blog, below that).
Hope you enjoy :-)
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Owen, King William I and Rufus

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 10:17 pm

Nice tale. Thanks for sharing. BTW, what was the lowest temperature up there? To be cold with a -5 deg bag and additional covers, it must have been really bad.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 9:07 am

GPSGuided wrote:Nice tale. Thanks for sharing. BTW, what was the lowest temperature up there? To be cold with a -5 deg bag and additional covers, it must have been really bad.

This time of year at altitude in Tasmania, the nights would be around 0 to -10 with lower extremes.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 12:34 pm

naturelover wrote:I have just read whynotwalk's prompting about what other forum members did on the long weekend (Lovely to meet you, Peter).

Great to meet you too Louise. And thanks for sharing your tale of mixed fortunes. Shame about the tooth :(

Re. the overnight temps GPSGuided, I heard it was -9 at Liawenee on the Sunday night. It wasn't far above that in Pine Valley, and I imagine Rufus would have been colder.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whynotwalk » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 12:55 pm

PS - loved the Rufus blog post. Now that's what I call a cold night! :)
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 2:01 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:This time of year at altitude in Tasmania, the nights would be around 0 to -10 with lower extremes.

whynotwalk wrote:Re. the overnight temps GPSGuided, I heard it was -9 at Liawenee on the Sunday night. It wasn't far above that in Pine Valley, and I imagine Rufus would have been colder.

Interesting how a 5 deg C differential b/n ambient temperature and bag rating can induce such a significant hypothermic response in an individual.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby horsecat » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 2:50 pm

Down to minus 9 degrees at Wild Dog Creek on the Sunday night of that long weekend according to my min/max thermometer. That was in the vestibule of my tent so it was probably a tad colder than that outside. Inside the tent the water in my Nalgene water bottle that was next to me froze solid. But I wouldn't say that I was cold though
horsecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 3:04 pm

I can remember hearing a mountaineer talking about a very cold night out in Alaska, near the top of a big wall, in winter. There were two in the party. They had been climbing all day, and got near the top, when it got dark. They continued on by head torch, until their batteries failed. So they used their ice axes to cut out a small ledge and tied on. They only had thermals and fleeces. They spent the first hour or so huddled near their stove, until the gas ran out. Then, the spent the rest of the night running on the spot. They survived!

Louise - time to upgrade your sleeping bag? I would have warn the down jacket and one pair of thermals and socks to bed. Too much clothing can restrict your circulation and you feel colder. Kept things off the sleeping bag - which may impede the loft. Put shoes and gaiters in a plastic bag - and placed inside the bag. Cooked inside the tent (you stay a lot warmer cooking while in your sleeping bag) and the stove warms the tent a bit. Spare clothing - place under or around your sleeping bag for extra insulation (but not on top). You don't need to worry too much about condensation when it is that cold. It will freeze and not wet your things. And a small medicinal flask......

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes