Wentworth Hills (+ D'Arcys Bluff)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Wentworth Hills (+ D'Arcys Bluff)

Postby naturelover » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm afraid I was not exactly inspired by the photo of Wentworth Hills in the Abels book, and I blamed the hills rather than the photographer (still do). However, an Abel is an Abel, and an outing is never to be sneezed at, so we signed up and set out. Reading in this forum beforehand, I had seen some photos from ILUVSWTAS that alerted me to the fact that there was, at least, a view to be had from the top that would be worthwhile.
D'Arcys Bluff had a fair bit of junk under it as we sidled around the cliffs looking for an opportunity to gain more height, but once on top there, the rest of the day was fine, scrubwise.
If I climb it again, I'll do it without doing the bluff part, thereby avoiding the worst of the scrub (and, obviously, I no longer need the point for it).

If you'd like to see a fuller report and photos, check out my blog at: natureloverswalks.blogspot.com

I haven't included an image of our route in the blog, as it was roughly the triangular course recommended in the Abels book, so doesn't need duplicating. I have it in my computer; if anyone wants a clearer look at the contours just PM me.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Wentworth Hills (+ D'Arcys Bluff)

Postby north-north-west » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 6:57 am

I bumped into your report on this one while checking your road route for Byatts. Thank you for reminding me about it - it was added to a short getaway and was a great start to the trip.

Different people, different perceptions, probably slightly different lines. I had no trouble with scrub going up D'Arcy, but the return route from the lake took twice as long as expected. I suppose carrying a full pack didn't help. But one has to love the views from the Wentworth summit block, especially of the King William Range. Fantastic. And thanks again.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes