Tramontane, Manfred and Cuvier

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Tramontane, Manfred and Cuvier

Postby naturelover » Wed 24 Dec, 2014 3:43 pm

Last week a group of ten of us bush bashed our way down to the Murchison and then up Tramontane, via Mts Cuvier and Manfred (and around the belly of Byron, fat gent that he is). We set out with eight days' gear, in case we needed that long, but took a bit less. In our minds, the trip has epic proportions and we had a fabulous adventure. If you would like to read the whole story with pics, then please turn to my blogsite natureloverswalks.blogspot.com and you'll find it there.
I haven't included a gps of our route. I only took selected waymarks in order to save batteries, considering how long it was. I have , however, described where we went pretty fully, and if you want waymarks, you can PM me for the information.
Cheers,
L
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tramontane, Manfred and Cuvier

Postby stepbystep » Thu 25 Dec, 2014 3:22 am

A nice trip report Louise. Pity the weather was a bit rough although those first days on Cuvier looked grand. I'd considered this route to Tramontane but you've convinced me an approach from High Dome will be the go for me! Love these adventurous trips. They stand clear from the rest.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tigercat » Thu 25 Dec, 2014 5:36 am

Epic!
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Thu 25 Dec, 2014 9:39 am

Great read. I must have just missed you at both ends. I was doing the Du Cane traverse at almost the same time.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby pazzar » Thu 25 Dec, 2014 12:33 pm

Sounds epic! Well done! I had a look at it from High Dome, but when a snow storm came in that night, our plans changed. I'm with SBS though, I like the idea of approach from High Dome. Could be an awesome circuit from St Clair though!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes