Overland Track April 2015

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Overland Track April 2015

Postby DanShell » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 1:33 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
DanShell wrote:...but I think the titanium wouldn't like a prolonged hot spot on a dry pot.

Why? Ti is used in aviation, often on the tip of hypersonic aircrafts and missiles where the temperature can get to four digits. It has a very high melting point. Just go for it, cook and burn!

No worries. I melted one of my trangia pots one night so I'm a little gentler on my gear these days ;) Alloy obviously melts a lot easier than Ti.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 1:45 pm

Still, impressive to be able to melt a Trangia pot. Started a furnace there?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:21 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Still, impressive to be able to melt a Trangia pot. Started a furnace there?

Yeh many years ago. I thought the glowing pot was a good way to warm my hands ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Travis22 » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:42 pm

Haha wow! Yeh melting the trangia pots must have taken some doing ;)

My stove just arrived today!! I went with a Ti Snowpeak Trek900 ($70 from Japan) and the Ti Kovea 60g stove for $60. The stove looks great and the flame seems like its width etc should heat the base of the pot fairly evenly without making a super hot spot in the middle, but time will tell i guess.

I was very close to buying the Firemaple or the BRS one but i was a little worried they would be too light weight / fragile for me. The Snowpeak pot feels almost too light and fragile! The Kovea stove feels nice as solid whilst remaining very light (compared to the trangia setup anyways!)

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:00 pm

Looks like a good purchase T22 :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:16 pm

Ti is just a wonderful material whether for bike frame or camp/backpacking gears! At $1/g, it better be worth it. Basically impossible to destruct.

Hate to say it at this stage but you have seen those BRS 3000T stoves that have been discussed recently, right? US$12.30. Just 25g and dirt cheap. Can easily buy and carry two. ;)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 00524.html
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:51 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Ti is just a wonderful material whether for bike frame or camp/backpacking gears! At $1/g, it better be worth it. Basically impossible to destruct.

Hate to say it at this stage but you have seen those BRS 3000T stoves that have been discussed recently, right? US$12.30. Just 25g and dirt cheap. Can easily buy and carry two. ;)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 00524.html

I think T22 mentioned that he had looked at that.
A wonderful bit of engineering that and will be my shirt pocket back up to the FMS 100T also TI pots are good however in my experience I have found the MSR Titan 1 Lt kettle 125 gm an outstanding performer for soloists and that the thinner type Ti pots like the Evernew 900 ml Pasta pot at 115gm which bows on the base not as useable and for around 10 gm I know my choice :)
Last edited by corvus on Mon 20 Jul, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 8:16 pm

Oops, I missed it. Thanks. Still, can have two unit with one for backup. Ti is pretty strong, even when small. :)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 11:47 pm

Thanks Corvus, im pretty happy with the setup.

Ive loved the Snow Peak stuff ive bought in the passed (KSF sets, Sporks, Single Wall mugs, Double Wall mugs) hence i pulled the trigger on the Ti Trek900 set. However immediately i find myself getting annoyed at the loose fitting lid (mini pot / fry pan thing haha) and as i mentioned before it feels too light, the mugs for example feel extremely robust where as the Trek900 set feels like it would crush if you packed it away to tightly in your pack. Likely a big over reaction on my part, and clearly if people were easily damaging their pots then there would be plenty of posts around the internet saying so but it seems to have a good reputation so i wont start looking for a replacement just yet :) (Any replacement would be of the Pot with a std simple flat lid variety - but again it must fit the gas + stove inside).

As for the stoves, in the end it was actually another of Dan's posts that swayed me from buying the BRS-3000T. He mentioned it arriving with one of the arms slightly bent; and iirc commented it was easily bent back into shape. That was it for me, and again i found similar comments regarding the light weight Fire Maple stove, arriving deformed / bent and requiring straightening or modifying. So i started at 25grams - Nearly $20 delivered on ebay, then 40grams and $45/50 then figured well the Ti Kovea at 60grams and $60 would be the answer and would be of the sort of strength / build quality i expect.

End of the day my entire cooking setup now comes in under 600grams (with 230g gas canister). My full Trangia 500ml bottle weights more, let alone the 1L bottle and the Trangia itself!!!

Travis.
Travis22

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 7:11 am

Just a correction, the BRS's price was with free delivery.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 11:17 am

You will be happy with your set up Travis and a few extra grams is nothing in a bigger picture.

Ive got to say though, I am really happy with my little brs300t. Yes its fragile but I just keep it under my canister with my silicon cup encasing it and its surviving fine so far. For the price and weight they are great :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 06 Aug, 2015 11:03 am

Thank for sharing the final day, Dan.

You definitely need to walk right through to Cynthia Bay in my humble opinion (unless you have a time issue).

It's some of the most beautiful rainforest on the entire track. Echo Point is just an exquisite place to camp, especially in fine weather (the hut, not so much).

People always make the mistake of using the topographical chart to assume the walk is flat. The overall elevation change is minimal, but the track around the lake constantly meanders up and down. It's some of the most tiring walking on the entire track. There's pretty much no flat walking until you approach Watersmeet.

Well done on a thoroughly prepared and well documented trip.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby DanShell » Thu 06 Aug, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks very much. I agree in regards to the track out past the lake not being exactly flat. Ive walked better conditions being off track in Tassie!
When the opportunity arrises Ill definitely be camping at Echo point, what a lovely little area. There is ALOT of snow up around that area the last few days. The Tiers around me are white, its so nice to look at. I cringe as I drive to work every afternoon on these beautiful clear days and look up to the mountains :(
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weighty walker » Fri 18 Sep, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Dan thanks for the awesome videos.I have only finished part six now. What an epic last day you had.I did the OT in 2012 with my hubbie and walked out to Cynthia bay. I am off to do it solo next week and hope to camp the whole way if its not too wet and I have the time to walk out again so will be in no hurry.I will not be taking video like you though so may have to revisit again.It's a wonderful video and has got me really excited. Thanks for the time and effort you have put in. Bet your feet were glad when you stopped. :D
weighty walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby DanShell » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 8:52 am

weighty walker wrote:Hi Dan thanks for the awesome videos.I have only finished part six now. What an epic last day you had.I did the OT in 2012 with my hubbie and walked out to Cynthia bay. I am off to do it solo next week and hope to camp the whole way if its not too wet and I have the time to walk out again so will be in no hurry.I will not be taking video like you though so may have to revisit again.It's a wonderful video and has got me really excited. Thanks for the time and effort you have put in. Bet your feet were glad when you stopped. :D

Thanks very much and good luck with the weather next week. Its looking like it might be kind to you, if not a bit chilli overnight wednesday. My feet are always glad when I stop, I get a bit sad though :wink:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weighty walker » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 9:16 am

Yep, I know what you mean. Back to reality. :( Oh well I guess it gives you something to look forward to for next time :)
weighty walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby alanm » Wed 04 May, 2016 1:14 pm

DanShell, mate, PM sent. Cheers. Al
It seemed like a good idea.....at the time.....
alanm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Previous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes