West Portal and Stepped Hills

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

West Portal and Stepped Hills

Postby naturelover » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 8:58 am

In this last week I have journeyed with friends into West Portal and Stepped Hills and have written up (separate) blogs on each, if people are interested in looking at the pics and reading the reports.
With regard to access to the Gordon River for anyone contemplating going that way, I can tell you that we got in in an all wheel drive. I would not even dream about it in a 2WD. The all-wheel Subaru is not in the same condition as when it began the trip and will need a little panel beating - BUT, one can get in.
MANY, MANY thank yous to the bushwalkers who have taken their chainsaws in and enabled the journey. As you will see from the blogs, many creeks have already dried up.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: West Portal and Stepped Hills

Postby naturelover » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 10:18 am

Forgot to give the URL :x http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.a ... -2015.html

For Stepped Hills, as it's currently the latest entry, you just type http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.au.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 10:22 am

Hey Louise - Good trip reports.

It is a long way to walk the Arthurs Plains twice on the one trip. In the time you had, you could have done a very nice traverse from West Portal to Promontory Lake and then down Moraine K.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Genesis » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 8:07 am

Wow!, I have been in Tassie for 8 years now and each time I get on this forum I realise how much more there is to see.

Thanks for the Blog post!

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby naturelover » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 9:14 am

I've been here more like 28 yrs and still have so much to see it'll take more than the rest of my life. Thanks for the Thanks, Genesis - much appreciated!!
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 9:52 am

naturelover wrote:With regard to access to the Gordon River for anyone contemplating going that way, I can tell you that we got in in an all wheel drive. I would not even dream about it in a 2WD. The all-wheel Subaru is not in the same condition as when it began the trip and will need a little panel beating - BUT, one can get in.

Hmmmm, maybe I should do the Denison loop from the lake - paddle in, up Stepped Hills, then north and return over Wright. Less buttongrass perhaps, but . . . :?
Last edited by north-north-west on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby naturelover » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 11:09 am

NNW, Mark and I are doing the Spires soonish, and I have a strong feeling that a chainsaw might have cleared even more of the ground timber by then :roll:
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:31 pm

At this rate you'll have passed me before Christmas. Keep it up.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:58 pm

No way Jose. I'm only on 107 Abels, and am not actually trying to catch anyone. You are definitely going to win this one, and deservedly so. And when you do, you will not only be the first female Abelist to complete, but you will be the first person ever to have done such a huge proportion of your Abels solo. (And as the first and only female, you will also be the youngest, oldest, the female to complete in the shortest time and the longest, etc. All the records will be yours until number two completes, and then she will take either the youngest or the oldest title from you. :-).
I'm just enjoying the thrill of the game. I would love to complete sometime if I'm able (haha), but das Gehen ist das Ziel. Lucky for me, however, Mark wants to complete, and soon, and, as his current climbing partner, I thus have a good excuse for getting out and about. I like having company in scrub. My nightmare is to end my days dying of starvation, hanging from a tree, caught from behind by my plait. With a partner closeby, I get untangled and don't have to live out my fears. :D
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 4:08 pm

naturelover wrote:No way Jose. I'm only on 107 Abels, and am not actually trying to catch anyone. You are definitely going to win this one, and deservedly so. And when you do, you will not only be the first female Abelist to complete, but you will be the first person ever to have done such a huge proportion of your Abels solo. (And as the first and only female, you will also be the youngest, oldest, the female to complete in the shortest time and the longest, etc. All the records will be yours until number two completes, and then she will take either the youngest or the oldest title from you. :-).

Fedders is going to take some doing. I'll probably need someone to lower me down. Blindfolded.
I'm just enjoying the thrill of the game. I would love to complete sometime if I'm able (haha), but das Gehen ist das Ziel. Lucky for me, however, Mark wants to complete, and soon, and, as his current climbing partner, I thus have a good excuse for getting out and about. I like having company in scrub. My nightmare is to end my days dying of starvation, hanging from a tree, caught from behind by my plait. With a partner closeby, I get untangled and don't have to live out my fears. :D

I knew there was another good reason for having short hair.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes