Three Capes Track: First Impressions

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Three Capes Track: First Impressions

Postby whynotwalk » Fri 09 Sep, 2016 9:54 am

ImageImageImage

G'day all - I recently walked the full Three Capes Track for the first time. I had been involved - as a former staff member of Tas Parks & Wildlife - in aspects of the walk. But I retired last year, before the walk was open.

So I was curious on lots of levels about what the experience would be like. I guess I wanted to let the walk speak for itself. And overall I'd have to say this a stunning walk. Okay you'd expect an ex-staff member to put a positive spin on the walk. But that said, I'm not uncritical of some aspects of how the walk has been done.

Anyway below is a link to some of my thoughts and impressions.

http://www.naturescribe.com/2016/09/thr ... sions.html

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Three Capes Track: First Impressions

Postby cajun » Fri 09 Sep, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks Peter. I am currently considering retirement, and this will go on my bucket list :-)
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby beardless » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 6:20 pm

It must have been interesting for you to experience the fruit of all those meetings. Always enjoy reading your words (and I am looking forward to when you publish that book). They are such spectacular cliffs and the rainforest was a real surprise and highlight for me as well. I agree with your three letter conclusion.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby whynotwalk » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks beardless - still working ... ssllooowwly ... on the book. But got a bit of OS travel to do between now and November. So I'll be blogging/writing from the road for a little while,

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 1:06 am

Can you see a threat to this park? Its a nice idea, growing the number of wilderness advocates (careers being built around it), but all I see is growing the number of advocates for a built environment.. Which is, in fact, the only foreseeable threat to wild places?

Track works, artistry, ease. Comforting and, no doubt, more widely popular aspirations (than maintaining wildness) being forced into place. I appreciate the conjurings of artistry but also don't recall ever being asked for permission (foreign concept may it be to many pubes) to escalate into placing anything but simple signage in my (our) parks?

It is always good to see the appreciation of natural assets and a few nice images.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 3:23 pm

I think your blog sums it up well.

I did the walk as an independent right when the 'three capes experience' started so some of the people we met on the track were surprised that we were allowed to walk it. Once they sort out better camping arrangements for independants it will be great. Im not a fan of the positioning of the Hilton Huts as an independant but I can obviously see the attraction as a paying walker.

I may hypocritically do it again as paying customer , when the half price deal comes about again though ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hallu » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 1:30 am

My biggest concern right now is making people pay full price for what is essentially a Two Capes Track. The first one is still not in. And I still haven't heard what will happen to the pricetag once it is : same price (in that case previous Two Capes walkers will feel robbed) or more expensive (in that there'll be outrage at the price bump) ? I don't mind the wide track with duckboard, it usually helps the vegetation recover as well so it's a worthy sacrifice, but the giant huts I don't know... It remind me of how they overengineered the Skyline trail in Highland of Cape Breton national park in Nova Scotia, Canada. It's now basically a small road for pedestrians with full duckboard at the end, and it's absolutely packed with people. It's not a pleasant experience. I doubt it'll be as packed in a region as remote as Tasmania, plus it's still a multi day hike, but I just hate the pricetag. You say the easy walking opens it to firsttime walkers, I'm saying overall it does the contrary because it's way too expensive. Having travelled quite a bit now, I've always felt that Aussies are the best track builders in the world. No too engineered, bridges and duckboard just where it's needed (something Europe sometimes lacks), no unnecessary climbs like in Canada, safe railings but not too much like in the US, maintainted lookouts etc... but it's always been for everyone to enjoy. Not here, this feels exclusive.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Thornbill » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 2:01 pm

DanShell wrote: Once they sort out better camping arrangements for independants it will be great.

2 weeks ago I did the track for the first time in about 5 years, so before any of the new stuff was built. I spoke to one of the hut rangers (they were great by the way. Very happy to allow us non-paying walkers to take a proper look around and use the water, sit inside for a drink etc.) about the walker's campsite and she mentioned that a second walker's campsite will be built, most likely at Bare Knoll. Like you say Dan, this will make it much better for independent walkers as the site at the falls was pretty dark and damp this time of year.

Initially I thought the price tag was way too expensive. But for what you get, I reckon it's not way too expensive, just a little too expensive :)
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby greyim » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 7:05 am

Good write up Peter... friends took me to check it out last week. I would thoroughly rec. the walk to able visitors - they've done a great job. The campsite situation is pretty so so but we only did a daytrip out to Pillar & back, walked the socks off me. Great scenery. Was interested to see some Richea right out at the cape, sea eagles and a very photogenic echidna
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes