Access to Walls of Jerusalem

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Access to Walls of Jerusalem

Postby nerambler » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 1:58 pm

Is anyone else as disgusted as me that PWS are allowing commercial operators into the Walls via, I assume, Borradaille Plains, but not letting private walkers in? So commercial vehicles are ok to take along that road but not a private vehicle??? Those of us who have spent our lives walking in Tasmania are being treated like second class citizens and it is not good enough!
nerambler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Access to Walls of Jerusalem

Postby Mark F » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 2:27 pm

No, I am not disgusted. What they have done is allow very limited traffic onto a damaged road in order to assist the tourism industry over the summer. The vehicles are very likely being driven by people who are well aware of the conditions and will drive appropriately. Open slather is likely to cause accidents due to the increased quantity of vehicles and some drivers who do not know the road and assume it is safe.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nuts » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 2:46 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Sun 25 Dec, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Paul » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 9:34 pm

"The vehicles are very likely being driven by people who are well aware of the conditions and will drive appropriately"

And why would the general public not be able to drive in the same manner as stated above for commercial drivers ?? The one rule should be for everyone - stop this discrimination now !!

Paul.
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nerambler » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 6:11 am

The assumption that only commercial vehicle drivers can drive safely is ridiculous. This is all about money. Do I get a reduced Parks Pass this year because they are locking me out?
nerambler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby pazzar » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 7:27 am

The blocked access has nothing to do with PWS. It is a Forestry Tasmania operation. The other main reason I suspect FT are limiting traffic is because there is active logging activity on Borradaile Road currently.

As far as I'm aware the only commercial access is for food droppers to go to Lee's Paddocks to drop food at Pelion Hut. There is no access to Arm River Road still. I don't know of any commercial groups going into the WOJ currently, but I do know of some happening in late summer. I think the hope is that the road is open by then.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 8:50 am

Ahk.
Open invitation for a day walk, maybe once, in January.
Leave room for the vittles.

(your welcome, merry xmas)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Paul » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 8:59 am

The other main reason I suspect FT are limiting traffic is because there is active logging activity on Borradaile Road currently.

If there is currently active logging on Borradaile, either stop ALL traffic, or none at all. I repeat, discrimination.
At other times before the Mersey Forest Rroad was washed out, when active logging was taking place on Borradaile, was any traffic stopped on Borradaile ? I have my doubts.

A newspaper report in recent days stated that commercial walking grouos will be allowed permits by FT to access WOJ via Borriadale after New Year - but not the general public - again, discrimination

Paul.
( p.s. Merry Christmas everyone - see you in the WOJ area after New Year !!!! )
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 10:58 am

Paul wrote:A newspaper report in recent days stated that commercial walking grouos will be allowed permits by FT to access WOJ via Borriadale after New Year - but not the general public - again, discrimination

I'd be the first to encourage you to question any aspect of commercial operations (though find this one is a little bit odd).
Do you have a link to this news article?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Paul » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 8:34 pm

Yes, here is the link to the article.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/437415 ... sed/?cs=95

Cheers,

Paul
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 9:02 pm

Ta. TWC don't advertise tours in The Walls? (yet) and TE should also be subject to the same conditions i had mentioned earlier, updated last week. I still don't really see the discrimination issue in the same light but i'm sure it's worth further clarity (from someone).

Thanks for the link, confusing (or confused?), worth keeping an eye on accountability as it reaches new lows.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes