Mount Picton

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mount Picton

Postby possytas » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 2:28 pm

We planned to climb Mt Ossa Christmas week, but thankfully found the reports of the access road closures. Instead, we decided on an overnight at Mt Picton. As a 40+ and a 50+ year old couple who are healthy but not 'fit', we found this one challenging but very rewarding.

The start point was easy enough to find by following previous notes. Having a Landcruiser we drove the last section of road - I wouldn't have wanted to take a two-wheel drive up there.

The track was often muddy, with a number of trees/branches fallen over the track. With overnight packs at times it was a difficult decision whether to go over or under! From memory there were three water crossings; all managed with no wet feet (either a log bridge or rocks to step on). There were also two climbs that have a rope for assistance. I really enjoyed this section of the track; there were a number of birds and it was interesting forest. Pretty sure I spotted a Lyrebird. My partner did not enjoy it so much. He managed to fall in a mud hole resulting in a tree-branch stabbing him in the chest and a broken trekking pole.

_DSC9338.JPG
The track

_DSC9343.JPG
Water crossing

After 4 hours we made it to the Lake Riveaux and Glassworm Tarn junction. At this point I think it's fair to say we'd both had enough. Although we'd only walked 4.1km, we had climbed 500m and the track condition meant that high concentration was necessary the whole time. We kept going towards Steanes Tarn.

A further 2.3km, and 290m climb had us arrive at our camp site. This section of the track was less muddy, but had overgrowth making it a challenge with a large pack at times. We set up our tent on one of the large flat rocks at the base of the summit. We were lucky to have no wind and the place to ourselves. There is plenty of water available.

_DSC9369.JPG
Camp site - Federation Peak on the horizon

_DSC9397.JPG
Sunset

The next day we climbed the summit via the cairned track (1.6km). We had a clear day and magnificent views. One of the best we've seen. We stayed up there for half our or so before making our own way back down the more direct and steep route up, but was easy enough to do.

_DSC9424.JPG
Climbing the summit

IMG_20161223_090425.jpg
Climbing the summit

IMG_20161223_094633.jpg
Peak

IMG_20161223_095333.jpg
Peak view

IMG_20161223_100734.jpg
Peak view

_DSC9455.JPG
Summit view

We had some lunch before heading back down to the car.

I think I recall reading somewhere that this walk is about a 7.5 hr return. It took us more like 11 hrs (6 hrs up and 5 hrs down) - and this is excluding the summit!
possytas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mount Picton

Postby Geevesy » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 2:38 pm

Nice! Would love to return to that area. I unfortunately didn't have the weather you had...
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Snowzone » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 7:29 pm

Thank you for your report. This is somewhere I need to get back to after missing out on this walk a year ago after doing the Eastern Arthurs. I really enjoyed your pics. :-)
Snowzone

Region: Victoria

Postby waif » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 6:11 am

Absolute blue-bird of a day you had there!

I did it about a year ago and managed to get my Camry right up to the start of the track, the road was only a little rutted. As a day walk it wasn't actually as long or hard as I thought it would be, however with overnight packs it'd be a slog.
waif
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby silvereye » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 8:41 pm

Good report and great pics.
Looks like you were especially blessed with the weather.
I second your comment RE: the road condition though. I drove down there just before Christmas to go up to Square Tarn and very nearly wrecked my Outback. That last half a km or so is atrocious. Guess it must have been the flooding last winter that did it.
On the way back I took about an hour or so to fill the worst holes with rocks and dead branches so I could make it out safely :)
silvereye
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes