Camp Hill Abel No. 114

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Camp Hill Abel No. 114

Postby Brian OByrne » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 9:50 am

Camp Hill Abel No. 114 is accessed from the Lyell Highway via Pidgeon House Hill and Rocky Hill. In Vol 2 of "the Abels" the 2nd paragraph of the essay should read "Although only 3 km from Rocky Hill allow 2 hours for the one way trip to Camp Hill" NOT 2 HOURS RETURN. The route is extremely scrubby . Slower parties should allow 3 hours one way.

Rocky Hill Abel No. 107 Vol 2 The last paragraph of the essay reads 5 hours from Lyell Highway to Rocky Hill. I suggest 7 hours one way.

Brian O'Byrne,
8th finisher of the Abels and contributor to the Camp and Rocky Hills essays .
Brian OByrne
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Launceston Walking Club, Bushwalking Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Re: Camp Hill Abel No. 114

Postby stu » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 2:24 pm

We must have picked a better line Brian, I think maybe it took us 3 hours return to Last Hill & back from Rocky Hill.
Agree on the comment re. getting to Rocky Hill tho, it does drag out despite the track (if you can stay on it the whole way.).
Thankfully it's super easy walking from Camp Hill to Last Hill & well worth the effort, despite not being an Abel.

IMGP4722.jpg
Camp Hill from Rocky Hill north west (Last Hill to the left).

IMGP4744.jpg
Rocky Hill from Camp Hill (The Reserve in the distance).
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Camp Hill Abel No. 114

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 4:25 pm

Yes, while my experience was more in line with Brian's, some people are luckier/better navigators. And then there's the bugger who replied to my account of the traverse to Camp and Last with '"didn't you find the pad?". :x
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes