Western Arthurs K to A "Reverse Traverse"

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Western Arthurs K to A "Reverse Traverse"

Postby GregChinery » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:46 am

My wife and I just finished a beaut trip down to South West Tassie. Story and pics here: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/gr ... /tpod.html
GregChinery
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Western Arthurs K to A "Reverse Traverse"

Postby Lizzy » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 5:11 pm

Sounds like lovely weather ;)
Those people that took a toddler are nuts! Poor little thing would freeze being carried...
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby bumpingbill » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 12:37 pm

Nice write up! Love seeing trip reports of the Arthurs. Pity about the battery going flat!
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby relaxtec » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 8:44 am

You were a little unlucky with the weather. I did the WA's in 2009 and I found it difficult enough in nice weather let alone trying to scale cliffs and chasms in the rain and wind.
I don't quite get the idea of doing it in reverse? I don't see how this can give you more time. In fact, I would imagine that the reverse direction would take more time.
In reverse you will always run into a lot of other hikers. (Good or bad I'm not sure) but as you experienced, it was quite busy at the campsites. In fact, It sounds like it was pretty busy up there anyway. We only came across about 4 others over the whole trip.
Someone with an 18 month old??? That is weird.
I hate it when people get on these forums and start giving you advice on what you should have done and correcting stuff that you have posted.
Anyway, great that you made it through unscathed.
relaxtec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 1:11 pm

relaxtec wrote:I don't quite get the idea of doing it in reverse? I don't see how this can give you more time. In fact, I would imagine that the reverse direction would take more time.
In reverse you will always run into a lot of other hikers.

As with any long ridge walk, there are sections that are easier in one direction, and others that are easier going the other way. Some people will find the A - K better going east to west.
Also - with other people on the track, if you're all going in the same direction you're either getting caught behind them or they're getting caught behind you. If you're going the other way it's easy to get around them, and you spend more time walking at your own preferred pace.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes