Penguin-Cradle trail February 2017

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Penguin-Cradle trail February 2017

Postby Lucky » Wed 29 Mar, 2017 12:07 pm

Penguin Cradle Trail
Our group consisted of seven members of Boroondara Bushwalking club (a Melbourne based club) and one member of the Hobart Walking Club. We commenced the Trail on 22nd February 2017. Prior to commencing we had valuable knowledge of the condition of the trail from the North West Walking Club and from Sean who walked the trail in January 2017 (see blog ‘Safari’ - Penguin-Cradle Trail Jan 2017).
We avoided the Tramway along the Leven River to Purtons Flats, taking the alternative route on the gravel road.
On Day 2 most of the party went via Mt Lorymer peak (some scrub bashing and no views), while two members took the marked trail to join the others at the 14.4 km point (John Chapman map). That section of the trail is very slow going with considerable lengths of fallen trees over the track.
We used cars to negotiate the road section over Gunns Plains, so were able to start the Leven River section through the Loongana Range relatively early on Day 3. As expected, it was very slow going in many places due to the damage from floods in 2016. During the morning the leader had a 4-5 metre fall onto rocks in the river; luckily not sustaining any injuries as his backpack took the impact. We made camp at Blackwood Camp.
Day 4 took a turn for the worst. At about 11.30 am, at the 39.4 km point (where there is affixed rope) some of our group disturbed two or three rocks when they walked straight ahead on a false track at the top of the rope (the actual track went to the left). The result was that one member, while waiting to climb the rope, was struck on the forehead by a cricket-ball size rock. He suffered a deep cut and possible brief unconsciousness (but no lasting problems). First aid was applied and PLB activated (and a little later a second PLB was activated). The emergency helicopter arrived about ninety minutes later. While waiting for the emergency services to arrive, we placed ground sheets on the river bank to assist them pinpoint our location. Also, given the tree cover and terrain, we prepared two pathways to points on the river bank suitable to winch out the patient and his wife, which occurred at about 3.00 pm.
Special thanks to the emergency services for their skills on that day.
Two day-walkers had come through while we were awaiting for the emergency services and they explained that it had taken them over five hours to arrive at our point from the northern end of the Canyon, mentioning that in addition to the conditions along the river being bad, the track on the northern slopes of Griffiths Ridge was badly broken up. A decision was then made to abandon the walk given that it would not be possible for us to walk out of the Canyon that day and the night camp would be away from the river and in rough terrain. We therefore returned to Blackwood Camp for that night and walked out to Gunns Plains the next day.
Leaving aside the accident, this is a great walk and hopefully, we will complete the northern section of the trail another time.
Bernie
Lucky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Penguin-Cradle trail February 2017

Postby greyim » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 6:34 am

Hey thanks for sharing the trip report things don't always go smoothly in Tassie! Will go down in the Boonarong history book I'm sure
Nothing beats a nice camp fire
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby safari » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Bernie,

I was wondering how you went on your hike of the PCT, bit of bad luck on the way but good on you folks for having a bash and taking on the challenge- I'm pleased rescue arrived promptly and you found your way out. That rope climb requires a bit of commitment with a pack on doesn't it!
Attachments
P1020081.JPG
Rope haul on the Penguin Cradle.
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Meagaidh » Fri 19 May, 2017 3:43 am

Just out of the PCT, 4.5 days Penguin to Visitor Centre. Loved it but also slightly brutalised by the experience!

Good stuff: isolation, remoteness, solitude, proper sense of travelling where few went before, at least since the floods, no one signed the Blackwood Camp register since February, scenery, weather. All good.

Less good stuff: route finding in sections, worst was trying to find 4 Ways in the dark, only myself to blame for that! Falling into the river luckily not far and not badly hurt (cut lip, bang to lower back) but bruised then spent a went few minutes fishing my walking pole out, did you know they don't float!? Should have followed Sean's advice and worn long trousers for the penultimate day!!

I feel like I've had a proper bush walking experience and loved it. An adventure Unlike anything I've done before, maybe parts of The Dusky in NZ are close, that is certainly a bigger undertaking 9 days or so without resupply and a couple of 1,000m passes to get over from sea level, lots of chains and ladders on the steeps!

But for something so relatively close to the front country this PCT is currently about as tough as I know of, for a recognised trail. How much of that is due to floods and limited maintenance? It would be very different with a nice newly cut track, no landslips to work around, no fallen trees and therefore (?) more people. Me I like it as it is. But I reckon that it needs some heavy maintenance relatively soon......or it may fade away and only those of us that avoid the cash, flash and dash of routes like The Overland will remember it. That would be a shame.

Thanks due to Sean the safarihiker, your blog attracted me to the route, and by the way; 4 days? What kind of machine are you? :D if you ever find your way to Scotland I'll buy you a beer!

Thanks also of course due to North West Walking Club, inspired route.

Next.......

Andy
Meagaidh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby safari » Sat 20 May, 2017 8:37 am

Hey Andy,

Great to hear you had a blast wading through the scrub and getting to experience a lesser known part of Tassie, glad my trip report & blog was of help to yourself and Bernie and his crew before you.
Might take you up on the beer someday mate!
Cheers, Sean.
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrax » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 5:29 pm

Anyone looking to purchase a map and notes for the entire trail can now get one from The Wildcare group that supports maintenance of the track.

http://wildcaretas.org.au/branches/wild ... dle-trail/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:29 pm

Had a sqizz over the package this morning. Wow, well done to those involved, the friends group/ NWWC and The Patricia Dukes foundation.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes