A day on Mount Murchison

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A day on Mount Murchison

Postby iandsmith » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks for all the info from previous walkers, it helped inspire me to go and do the climb to Mount Murchison.
While in Tassie for most of March, based at Wynyard, this was high on my hit list. Unfortunately I got away a bit later than I'd hoped but, in the end, leaving around dawn worked out better than I expected.
I'd kept an eye on the weather predictions and really only had one chance at it so I set off rather excitedly, only to get held up at three places where roadworks were happening which set my frustration level up a tad. Then I got to Lake Rosebery and the mist was rising off the water with the sun trying to blaze through, so I had to stop there for 10 minutes, meeting a guy with a drone who was getting different angles.
Then it was off to the mount in perfectly clear weather, then packing my bag and realising I'd left my main water bottle behind - not good, but fairly typical. Still, I had my thermos of tea so I took that and also had a water bottle from some time ago with a liquid to be drunk only when desperate.
Climbing through they myrtle I thought would never end until I emerged and realised I'd probably only gone about 20% of the way. Bearing in mind I'm 70, I thought I was going okay but pulled up and hour into the journey and have to say that a cup of tea rarely tasted so good. Another half an hour up and, lo and behold, the unmistakable sound of running water. Though only a tiny rivulet, I managed to fill the water bottle and then came to the rope section and felt good when I got past that.
It looked like I could start to see where it might all end and, in another hour, I crested the ridge and all those predicted spectacular views came to pass. It really is a special spot and fulfilled my expectations.
I spent about half an hour up there, soaking it all up, eating lunch and taking pictures, and noticed that it was even better with the distant haze clearing.
I was the only one on the mount that day which made it feel even better, though I would prefer to have had company. The return was stressful on my legs, especially the quads when I put a burst of speed on through the myrtle. (If you can imagine a 70 year having a burst of speed!)
I took around 300 pics for the day and did the walk comfortably under 6 hours, probably around 5 1/2.
Attachments
Lake Rosebery (32) sp (530x800).jpg
Crepuscular rays over Lake Rosebery
Lake Rosebery (32) sp (530x800).jpg (224.48 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
Mount Murchison (88) (800x530).jpg
About half way up
Mount Murchison (88) (800x530).jpg (406.87 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
Mount Murchison (240) (530x800).jpg
The first tarn
Mount Murchison (240) (530x800).jpg (416.85 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
Mount Murchison panorama 1 (800x408).jpg
One of the many views at the top
Mount Murchison panorama 1 (800x408).jpg (311.01 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
Mount Murchison (102) (530x800).jpg
Just another of the splendid views
Mount Murchison (102) (530x800).jpg (374.05 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
Alpine Grasshopper (4).jpg
One of the many alpine grasshoppers
Alpine Grasshopper (4).jpg (293.11 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: A day on Mount Murchison

Postby eggs » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 10:45 am

Well done.
But Rope section...??
I didn't see any ropes when we went up in 2009.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 4:48 pm

Rope section? I've been up there t least six times, most recently last year, and there's never been any rope.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Osik » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 6:12 pm

I reckon someone might have added a little bit of cord to that little gully you go up after traversing across from above the forest.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Walks APW » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 6:05 pm

Yes went up today double washing line on steep bit at end of face about 10 minutes before valley with stream
Walks APW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby iandsmith » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 8:55 am

Mount Murchison (226).JPG
This is what it looks like.....didn't see any washing on it though.....
A couple more pics as well
Mount Murchison (200) sp (800x530).jpg
Mount Murchison (200) sp (800x530).jpg (401.38 KiB) Viewed 7810 times

Lake Rosebery black and white.JPG
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes