Mt Edith to the coast: a takayna / tarkine pilgrimage

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Edith to the coast: a takayna / tarkine pilgrimage

Postby Osik » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:07 pm

A voyage into the unknown often begins with darkness. And so it was here. At a kink in the road to nowhere, the verge lit up by the play of shrouded moonlight on buttongrass tussocks. The silence of 11pm the Thursday night before Easter punctured by hurried goodbyes, taillights soon receding in the direction of Corinna and other adventures. And then there was I and my pack and the tarkine.

Wet grass soaks through boots like nothing else. But with Mt Edith’s bulk looming dark upon the plateau, sodden filaments brooked no argument with the desire to be underway. An urgent need to settle the anxiety and uncertainty that comes with ventures into less-travelled country. This journey inspired by a brief conversation with Bob about his and Paul’s journey across the eastern peaks of the Norfolk range to the wild tarkine coast. A journey some 25 years old and not often repeated: the absence of tracks, high peaks and name recognition together with the presence of notorious west coast scrub means that for much of the trip there is no markers of past human presence: a sense of losing-one’s-self-in-landscape.

An hour passes by torchlight before the decision to call it a night. The Toner River lies snaking its way through the valley below, a dry summer rendering its watery path speechless in the wind.

Morning brings a pathetic-and-soon-aborted attempt to dry clothing in the pale light.

1 Mt Edith ridgeline.jpg

A steep climb up Mt Edith’s north-east ridge has the lungs and legs crying for oxygen.

3 Buttongrass plains from the slopes of Mt Edith.jpg

I’d camped on Edith before and so rather than continue up the ridge to the top I make the later-regretted-decision to contour south-east below the summit to the edge of a steep heavily vegetated valley. On the map, a few narrow contour lines, no more than a couple of hundred metres separate me from the open broad moor that heads towards Mt Hadmar.

4 Mt Hadmar from below Mt Edith.jpg

A few narrow lines soon translates to thick and entwined baura, cutting grass and malealeuca and my feet hanging six foot vertically above my head that is now occupying the place more usual for feet. Sunlight scrub calisthenics soon giving way to climbing vertically down through shadowy horizontal to the narrow creek that lies at the base of those narrow lines: before repeating it ad infinitum on my way out of the gunge.

As I take a breather in the open air I make a mental note that shortcuts that take in narrow, heavily vegetated valleys are unlikely to be shortcuts.

It’s about 10:30am on Friday and I’m looking up at Mt Hadmar. An hour later I’m on the summit after knee high buttongrass gives way to chest high scrub that gives way to yet higher scrub on the slopes. Then the summit plateau makes itself known and all is glorious. I’ve a ferry ride to Corinna from Hardwicke Point at lunchtime Monday and looking across the vast savannah at the big blue it seems possible that the late start on Thursday will not result in missed connections and an enforced sojourn on the northern banks of the Pieman.

5 Mt Edith & Norfolk Range from slopes of Mt Hadmar.jpg

6 Mt Sunday in the distance from Mt Hadmar.jpg

The descent off Mt Hadmar has some small patches of scrub, but it’s the descent off the high point a third of the way down the southern ridgeline that brings the thickest gunge I’ve yet encountered. Finding myself entangled, slashed at, and spun around and heading due west rather than to the south I remind myself that open walking ahead is not a mirage. One minute I’m throwing myself into the fray, the next I’m worming underneath tangled roots.

7 Scrub on the slopes of Mt Hadmar.jpg

8 Mt Sunday and scrub on the slopes of Mt Hadmar.jpg

10 Mt Vero from Mt Hadmar south ridge.jpg

The saving grace is that the thickest stuff doesn’t hold me up for much more than an hour or two, and with the sun dropping it’s time to climb an open lead and set up camp for the second night. A beautiful spot with Mt Sunday to the south, the main Norfolk range to the north-west, Hadmar to the north and Vero to the north-east. The bright lights of the Savage River mine the only stain on the inky darkness, the roar of the surf drifting across the plains.

11 Mt Sunday from campsite.jpg

13 Mt Sunday bathed in morning light.jpg
Last edited by Osik on Wed 26 Apr, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Mt Edith to the coast: a tarkine pilgrimage

Postby Osik » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:07 pm

12 Morning light on Mt Hadmar Sth ridge.jpg

14 Drying clothing with the Norfolk range behind.jpg

15 Looking north west towards Norfolk range.jpg

16 Open country to the slopes of Mt Sunday .jpg

Sunday morning. Water’s running low but with the knowledge that there’s a creek to cross at the base of Mt Sunday I use the final half bottle for a cup of tea, pack up and head off. Not long after I’m brewing a second cup by a delightful cascade and staring up at the contrast between the forest that hugs the southern slope, and the grass that does the same for the north. Sideling Mt Sunday brings the only regret of the trip: shortness of time that means a side-trip up Sunday is out. I console myself with the thought that there’s always next time and instead try and pick out an easy but meandering route to the Lagoon Bend. A bite to eat and another stunning view looking north to the Norfolk range, and then it’s down an open ridgeline, through some mild scrub and across to the Lagoon river.

18 Looking north to the Norfolk range from the slopes of Mt Sunday.jpg

I’d originally planned to roughly follow Hunters Creek across to the coast, but with Saturday afternoon getting on, I make the decision to instead pick my way south and then south-east to meet with the old 4wd track some 9km’s away. The next couple of hours an easy but stunning ramble across open buttongrass country and rolling hills. The 4WD track: an ugly scar on the landscape but one that will facilitate my journey to the coast. The last hour-and-a-half walked in darkness as a result of a desire to wake by the ocean, the roar of the surf growing louder as the track is swallowed by sand dunes. A surreal feeling as I climb and descend the dunes in darkness until I pop out by some rocks and decide to call it a night. The air tastes salty.

21 Norfolk range from the open country to the south.jpg

22 Mt Sunday from the south west.jpg

23 Norfolk range from the south west.jpg
Last edited by Osik on Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Osik » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:08 pm

Rain and wind pepper the tent through the night but as dawn breaks and the moon wheels overhead it clears and I have my first clear view of one the most stunning coastlines I have ever seen. Later that morning I spot two other walkers camped nearby but before I have the chance to say hello they are heading north along the coast. Later I discover that the first humans I have seen for the last couple of days are Paul & Bob on a coastal ramble. The coincidence of having just completed the walk that they inspired makes me chuckle at the universe and wish I’d been more willing to break my solitude.

24 tarking coast campsite.jpg

25 morning moonlight on the tarkine coast.jpg

26 looking south towards interview river.jpg

Having made the coast in good time, I am in no rush to head south and so spend Sunday morning meandering amongst the coast and dunes in a northerly direction before packing up and heading south. Middens abound, as do more recent flotsam and jetsam of indeterminable origin. The surf is massive, breaking over some ten or twelve sandbars before sweeping up the beach.

27 wandering north up the coast.jpg

28 sand dunes to the north .jpg

29 sand dunes in light.jpg

Emma, who dropped me by the side of the road on Thursday night is part of a group of artists taking part in Tarkine in Motion and I expect to rendezvous with her sometime today: the where and when to be decided by chance. However chance arrives sooner then expected when I come across her and Tim by the Interview river: we spend the stunning day moving at glacial pace southwards towards Rupert Point before meeting up with the other artists on the Sunday night. Two minutes of golden evening light one indelible memory amongst others

30 Em & Tim wandering south.jpg

31 Em & Tim wandering further south.jpg

32 Evening light looking south towards Rupert Point.jpg

33 Evening light looking north.jpg
Last edited by Osik on Wed 26 Apr, 2017 9:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Osik » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:08 pm

With Monday morning comes the last couple of hours southward along the wild and rocky coast, and then it’s time to take up Dan and the Tarkine in Motion crew's wonderful offer of a ticket to Corinna and civilisation on the mighty Arcadia II. Mixed feelings walking alongside others after the previous days of solitary endeavours though my musings on the sharing of an incredible landscape with other like-minded walkers soon gives way to the dissonance of sound and spectacle of the 4WDs, dirt bikes, generators and chainsaws emanating from across the Pieman. The river also soon hosting jetskis, though others such as the kayakers moored at the base of lovers falls are a more pleasing sight. The contrast in a way summing up the divergence of engagement with the environment that is part and parcel of Tasmania.

But enough said, it's been a stunning walk and I know I'll be back. Mt Sunday, let along a traverse of the main Norfolk and Meredith ranges awaits. Till then.

34 twisted rock at Rupert Point.jpg

35 granite in the hinterland.jpg

36 bright light on the rocky coast.jpg

Postscript 1
And so, to who would I recommend this walk? While much of the walk involves relatively easy navigation, there are ample opportunities to pick less than ideal lines through the thick scrub. I’d consider experience walking off-track and pushing through unforgiving scrub (preferably in Tassie or similar) is required to comfortably deal with the section between Mt Edith and Mt Sunday. I’d also hope that those wanting to experience the adventure of the trip would be very judicious in their sharing of GPS files as I’d hate to see pads forming in the buttongrass courtesy of a blind following of screen crumbs: my GPS spent almost the entire trip in the bottom of my pack so it’s not as if they are needed for navigation (absent perhaps being totally clagged out). I’d also strongly recommend buying Phill Pullinger’s latest Tarkine Trails book – it’s a stunner whether you do the walk or not!

Postscript 2
While the landscape across Mt Hadmar and the hinterland gave the sense of wild un-peopled place, it was not always this way: since the dreaming and for time immemorial aboriginal people wandered ‘cross this country, fire-stick farming the hinterland and living off the coastal bounty. Mt Edith, Mt Hadmar, Mt Sunday, Interview river: these places had and continue to have other names. The reconciliation of our celebration of wilderness and human absence, and the invasion that caused it: perhaps irreconcilable but a connection that deserves reflection on by all of us.

Postscript 3
Before moving to Tasmania three and a half years ago I had some knowledge of the struggle for the environment, the saving of the Franklin is after all a national cultural monument. What has struck me however in my time in Hobart and then more so over the last couple of years in the north-west is the depth of the tribalism that accompanies the contestation of the purpose and place of the environment in Tasmania. Within the tarkine, the hinterland landscapes I walked through have no protection from mining, the southern coastline could yet again be scarred by 4WDs, and native forests are being clearfelled elsewhere for little more than chest-thumping symbolism. If we are to truly act as caretakers rather than seeking mastery over these ancient landscapes then all of us, including bushwalkers, need to advocate for the protection of this veritable treasure trove of world heritage cultural and wilderness values. A national park, supported by an aboriginal ranger program would be a good place to start.
Last edited by Osik on Wed 26 Apr, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mt Edith to the coast: a takanya / tarkine pilgrimage

Postby stepbystep » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 7:36 am

Oh man..what a trip! What a trip report...great stuff osik. That land is so profound, I'm sure it loved being walked upon again.

I hope you don't mind if I share this :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby melinda » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 8:17 am

Great trip report. Big trip to take on alone, Osik. Luvit! :)
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Davo1 » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 8:31 am

Terrific write up and photos.
Thank you.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mt Edith to the coast: a takayna / tarkine pilgrimage

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 10:26 am

Nnext time I'm up there . . .

Thanks for the report and photos.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Peaksnik » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 1:12 pm

Many thanks for a lovely account of place and being-in-place.
Peaksnik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Osik » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks all for the kind words. sbs, of course you're welcome to share the post! & melinda, thanks again for your advice. It's a stunning walk, I only wish I'd had more time. In addition to Mt Sunday, would of been great to have climbed Mt Vero & Mt Judith and to have explored more of the creeks and rivers running towards the coast. Next time perhaps!
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby devoswitch » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 8:40 pm

Great report thanks heaps for sharing!
Just banked this in my forever growing list of places I want to go to!
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoskid » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 9:13 pm

Hiya Osik,
Great trip report, and thanks for bringing back in to focus an area I have wanted to walk in for a long time ( OK , 8 ish yrs).
Also, a bit of feedback.
I have wanted to walk in this area for a while, and after reading your trip report, I rang Devonport Bookshop to find out if they had a copy of Tarkine Trails. They did. I went and bought it and spent 2hours reading it when I should have been working.
Thanks,
Mark
ETA - I work for myself, I was not reading whilst charging someone for the time.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby ofuros » Sat 29 Apr, 2017 5:38 pm

Thumbs up Osik...a beautiful wind lashed wilderness.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes