Abels completers. First woman is there

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Abels completers. First woman is there

Postby naturelover » Wed 24 May, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi there. On the weekend, Maureen Martin became the first woman to complete a full round of Abels. I had heard of Maureen as being very experienced and when I finally met her, encouraged her to add up her Abels. At that point, a year ago, she had fourteen left to climb. In the last year, she has climbed all fourteen, as well as six others because she couldn't remember who she'd climbed them with, so wanted to be sure. Maureen is the eleventh person to complete. Congratulations Maureen.

Meanwhile, thanks so much to people who let me know, either about themselves or their friends, when the number of Abels listed against their name in my blog (natureloverswalks.com) is now out of date. I am not the KGB with secret spies out there, so rely on others giving me correct information. If your number of Abels is now out of date, please let me know. On that note, congratulations also to Martin Doran who completed earlier this year, and to Dale Lisson, likewise. My blog has had over 83,000 readers, so it is worth having your record accurate.
Cheers,
Louise
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Abels completers. First woman is there

Postby ofuros » Wed 24 May, 2017 1:37 pm

Well done Maureen....& thanks for keeping a tab on all those Abel completers, Louise.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Wed 24 May, 2017 1:45 pm

Good on you, Maureen.

I doubt I'll finish my round - Fedders scares the you-know-what out of me. Even with ropes and a competent belayer that descent will do my head in. Still, with only three to go and not much in the way of major goals beyond, it may yet happen . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby north-north-west » Wed 24 May, 2017 1:58 pm

ps: You can add Mark Wright to the completers list - he finished late Jan/early Feb.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Wed 24 May, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks for the input NNW, and hearty congrats on only three to go.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby shortstep » Fri 26 May, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks to everyone for your congratulatory comments by all types of social media on my Abel achievement. Sorry NNW if I took the title from you. I think I met you on a Western Arthurs trip a few years ago when we had a walker who broke his finger.
shortstep
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 26 May, 2017 4:05 pm

Please tell me that wasn't the rock I inadvertently kicked over the edge in the Tilted Chasm in 2011 . . . :oops:
If so, my heartfelt (if belated) apologies. Next time I'll take the offer to go through rather than trying to be polite and patient - neither of which are talents I possess.

As for grabbing the title, I'm glad someone else got there first. You've earned the accolades, so sit back and soak it all up.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes