Barn Bluff- Why Climb The Mountain?

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Barn Bluff- Why Climb The Mountain?

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 8:14 pm

G'day everyone,

I did a bit of a trip report on Barn Bluff, intertwined with some mountain philosophy. Please give it a read if you have a spare moment. Let me know what you think!

https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/201 ... -mountain/

Thanks,
Sam.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Barn Bluff- Why Climb The Mountain?

Postby GregR » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 8:25 pm

Damn good read, like your style.
Cheers
Greg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:13 pm

GregR wrote:Damn good read, like your style.
Cheers
Greg

Thanks Greg! That means a lot.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 1:28 pm

Hey Sam,
I enjoyed your report as usual. I think you've put into words some of the reasons I climb mountains in, well, less than ideal conditions. My perspective has changed a lot in recent years, from "Why on earth have those people gone up Ossa when they'll see absolutely nothing??!!", to becoming one of those crazy people myself. I admit, it was the peak-bagging points that began to change my view on things - what's worth doing, and what isn't. But there's a lot more to it than that. I'm thrilled with the adventures my new perspective has given me. Thanks for sharing yours. :)
Cheers
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 5:37 pm

"I looked back at the mountain, and I thanked it"
And Barney stood incredulous at this particular species and of the bind they get themselves into, out of, in to, and especially the evolution of reason.
All the time dreaming of relaxing on a beach, dipping a rampart in the sea.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:26 am

*loud applause*

Lovely piece of writing. And a good explanation of why some of us do this, no matter the conditions.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Explorer_Sam » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 7:29 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hey Sam,
I enjoyed your report as usual. I think you've put into words some of the reasons I climb mountains in, well, less than ideal conditions. My perspective has changed a lot in recent years, from "Why on earth have those people gone up Ossa when they'll see absolutely nothing??!!", to becoming one of those crazy people myself. I admit, it was the peak-bagging points that began to change my view on things - what's worth doing, and what isn't. But there's a lot more to it than that. I'm thrilled with the adventures my new perspective has given me. Thanks for sharing yours. :)
Cheers

Thanks Tortoise, I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Peak-bagging points certainly have the power to change one's perspective :lol: They epitomise the idea of the mountain as a challenge. It's a journey rather than a destination. The challenge aspect of the Abels or other peak bagging lists could certainly drive one to climb, despite no view to be gained at the summit. There's a lot to be experienced when it's not all sunshine, as I'm sure you've discovered.

Thanks,
Sam.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Explorer_Sam » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 7:30 pm

Nuts wrote:"I looked back at the mountain, and I thanked it"
And Barney stood incredulous at this particular species and of the bind they get themselves into, out of, in to, and especially the evolution of reason.
All the time dreaming of relaxing on a beach, dipping a rampart in the sea.

I like it! Very nice :wink:
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Explorer_Sam » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 7:32 pm

north-north-west wrote:*loud applause*

Lovely piece of writing. And a good explanation of why some of us do this, no matter the conditions.

Thanks NNW, I'm glad that you enjoyed the read and that some of my ideas resonated with you.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:41 am

Hmmm....is it possible for me to set up an automatic well done each time you post one of your stories Sam.....rhetorical question of course ...........but well done again.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Explorer_Sam » Sun 11 Jun, 2017 7:52 pm

neilmny wrote:Hmmm....is it possible for me to set up an automatic well done each time you post one of your stories Sam.....rhetorical question of course ...........but well done again.

Haha, cheers Neil! Means a lot. Thanks for always reading them.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby philm » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 2:31 pm

We did the same trip in late March. We were doing the Overland but went via Hansons Peak and stayed at Scott Kilvert Hut. The weather was average but the next morning was sunny and still so we climbed Barn Bluff after going to Waterfall Valley to leave our gear. It was a great walk and took us 3 hours return to Waterfall Valley. It's an excellent Mountain. And the views were the best. Thank for the write up it bought back fond memories
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:50 pm

philm wrote:We did the same trip in late March. We were doing the Overland but went via Hansons Peak and stayed at Scott Kilvert Hut. The weather was average but the next morning was sunny and still so we climbed Barn Bluff after going to Waterfall Valley to leave our gear. It was a great walk and took us 3 hours return to Waterfall Valley. It's an excellent Mountain. And the views were the best. Thank for the write up it bought back fond memories

We were there around Easter time. Sounds like a very nice alternate intinerary. When I did the Overland in '15, I went via Hansons Peak, but then across the Face Track, up Cradle and into Waterfall Valley. Barn Bluff the next day. You were lucky to get some nice weather and a good view from the top. I'll try again sometime :roll: I'm glad you enjoyed the read, thanks Phil!
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Explorer_Sam » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 10:18 pm

What's the best map for Barn Bluff?
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:33 am

The 1:25000 Cradle (4038) covers it, although if you want to goo west from there you'll need Block, and south is Will.

The standard NP map is fine if you're sticking to the tracks.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks for your trip report Sam. It was a very enjoyable read and it certainly got me thinking about why people are drawn to climbing mountains.
I'm guessing there are 3 or 4 possible groups that those who climb mountains might slot into.

1. would have to be the peak bagger who's primary reason for scrambling to the top of desolate wind blown peaks in all manner of climatic conditions is to tick another one off the list. To claim bragging rights and to be able to say " been there and done that one ".

2. might be the adrenaline junkies. These are the thrill seekers who want to live life to the max. They are up there because they want to challenge themselves. These are the people who will look for more difficult routes if the standard approach wont put them out there on the edge. These people are the conquerors of mountains.

3. are the purists who climb mountains simply for the aesthetics. They are seeking spectacular summit views and I suspect they have an overwhelming desire to see for themselves just what is on the other side.

4. I would imagine is a hybrid group. People who have a small measure of all of the above. These might be the people who sincerely say they dont really know why they climb mountains. They just know they HAVE to.

I'm not sure if I fit into the minority or the majority but I know I am member of another group altogether. After 4 extended trips to Nepal, a life time of bush walking in Tasmania and random visits to several other mountainous regions around the globe I have never felt an overwhelming need, urge or desire to stand on top of a peak. That is not to say I haven't been up mountains and experienced the euphoria of standing on a remote summit. I just don't need to climb mountains to fully appreciate them. I am just as happy to gaze up at an awesome summit and then walk away knowing that the mountain has still had the power to bring " every ounce of me into the moment".

It is no wonder so many people worldwide worship mountains in a spiritual sense.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 10:15 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:...why people are drawn to climbing mountains.

Because they're there.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes