Acropolis: The Dolerite Fortress

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Acropolis: The Dolerite Fortress

Postby Explorer_Sam » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 1:24 pm

G'day all,

Just published some writing from the Acropolis. Really enjoyed this trip. Please give it a read if you get a spare moment. As always, let me know what you think, and I'd love to hear your stories too!
https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/201 ... -fortress/

Thanks,
Sam.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Acropolis: The Dolerite Fortress

Postby GregR » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks Sam,

Enjoyed it as usual. As a "Dad person" I totally understand your old mans decision. Smart move by him and the correct one. It's the journey that counts and the enjoyment of being out there (especially with your kids).

Cheers

Greg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Explorer_Sam » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 2:02 pm

GregR wrote:Thanks Sam,

Enjoyed it as usual. As a "Dad person" I totally understand your old mans decision. Smart move by him and the correct one. It's the journey that counts and the enjoyment of being out there (especially with your kids).

Cheers

Greg

Thanks Greg!

No doubt the right decision for him. Dad would love hearing that, I'll pass it on. I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

Thanks,
Sam.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 4:30 pm

I get the impression from your writing that as you age, you are beginning to appreciate more and more what your parents have done for you.

That's certainly the way it was for me. I hiked a lot recently with my Dad, and even though I'm heavily goal oriented, just being out there and spending time with him was all the reward I needed - summit or no summit.

And you hut friend is right - your Dad made a wise choice. We see constant stories on bushwalk.com of people who did not make smart decisions. I'd rather regret not climbing a mountain, than regret climbing it.

And wait until you have your own kids - that will further morph and shape your views on your own parents, and forces you to cherish them.

Wow, I'm getting soppy in my old age!
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Explorer_Sam » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 5:15 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:I get the impression from your writing that as you age, you are beginning to appreciate more and more what your parents have done for you.

That's certainly the way it was for me. I hiked a lot recently with my Dad, and even though I'm heavily goal oriented, just being out there and spending time with him was all the reward I needed - summit or no summit.

And you hut friend is right - your Dad made a wise choice. We see constant stories on bushwalk.com of people who did not make smart decisions. I'd rather regret not climbing a mountain, than regret climbing it.

And wait until you have your own kids - that will further morph and shape your views on your own parents, and forces you to cherish them.

Wow, I'm getting soppy in my old age!

You are getting soppy! :wink:

No, you're right. A couple years back, it all hit me at once. As parents, they have just been incredible, in every sense of the word. I still slip up from time to time, but it's an honour to share these experiences with the old man. My parents gave everything to me, they nurtured me and I'm becoming the man I want to be.

You're right about turning back. As I pointed out, Pelion West was the eye-opener for me in that sense. If you haven't read that one yet, here's the link: https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/olt3/ (shameless plug).

Thanks for reading!
Sam.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Genesis » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 6:01 pm

Great blog,

Went there for the first time in 2015 as part of an 11 day OLT/Pine valley trip, LOVE Pine Valley it is a very special place.

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Explorer_Sam » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 6:48 pm

Genesis wrote:Great blog,

Went there for the first time in 2015 as part of an 11 day OLT/Pine valley trip, LOVE Pine Valley it is a very special place.

Genesis

Thanks Genesis!

It certainly is. Really mystical and otherworldly. A bit like Fangorn Forest from LOTR.

Thanks,
Sam.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Singe » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:23 pm

Great write-up Sam, entertaining reading :)

I attempted the Acropolis back around 2010 or so with my partner; we turned back at the same point (she is quite short and not very comfortable with heights. I'm tall but also don't like heights much and didn't know whether it would get worse further on). I didn't have a good feeling about going ahead solo.

I've always found the PV area a little foreboding, probably because the first time I went there was the day Clare Hutcheson disappeared. But like you say, the mountain is still there... maybe next time.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Explorer_Sam » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 1:48 pm

Singe wrote:Great write-up Sam, entertaining reading :)

I attempted the Acropolis back around 2010 or so with my partner; we turned back at the same point (she is quite short and not very comfortable with heights. I'm tall but also don't like heights much and didn't know whether it would get worse further on). I didn't have a good feeling about going ahead solo.

I've always found the PV area a little foreboding, probably because the first time I went there was the day Clare Hutcheson disappeared. But like you say, the mountain is still there... maybe next time.

G'day Singe,

I'm glad you enjoyed!

It sounds fairly common for parties to turn around at that point. I'm sure you made the right decision. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

I hadn't actually heard about Clare Hutcheson until now. After doing a bit of reading, that's pretty scary stuff.

Thanks,
Sam.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes