Mt Montgomery - did I take the right route??

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Montgomery - did I take the right route??

Postby Smurphette » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 12:12 pm

Greetings!

I did my first ever solo walk this morning, up Mt Montgomery! It was great, no helicopter rescue necessary! :P

But when I got home and checked out the GPS tracker on my phone it shows that I didn't stick to the track marked on the map, even though I followed the signs and what seemed like the most obvious track at the time..

Just curious whether anyone has any insight into what's going on there!
Has the track changed or did I go the wrong way?
Attachments
Mt Montgomery.png
Last edited by Smurphette on Mon 13 Nov, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smurphette
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Montgomery - did I take the right route??

Postby devoswitch » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 1:15 pm

Looks as though you did a great job!
I can’t comment on the track as I’ve never been up there. However you may find the track has just been redirected at places or upgrades/ shortcuts have been made. If you followed the track the whole way I reckon you’re spot on ;)
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 4:50 pm

Smurphette wrote:Greeting!

I did first ever solo walk this morning, up Mt Montgomery! It was great, no helicopter rescue necessary! :P

But when I got home and checked out the GPS tracker on my phone it shows that I didn't stick to the track marked on the map, even though I followed the signs and what seemed like the most obvious track at the time..

Just curious whether anyone has any insight into what's going on there!
Has the track changed or did I go the wrong way?

Greetings, Smurphette.
Well, there I was enjoying the view from Montgomery this afternoon, and checked what was happening on bushwalk.com. And there was your post! :) Had I got my act together a few hours earlier, I would have met you.

Yes, the track has changed. And there are several routes up. They've done a fair bit of work on the track/signage in the past couple of years, and have completely rerouted the bit at the beginning, and possibly other bits. Some of the old tracks are still good, but not signed. Some are still there if you know where to look, and I think other bits have grown over. Which map are you using? The Dial Range map (most of the current route is at least marked on that)? or Listmap? Or another one?
http://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map

I happened to come down the official route today, which I don't usually do. And I happened to have my GPS on, which I don't usually do, but I needed to check something. Yes, you went the 'right' way. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 5:06 pm

It's been some three years since I was there, but I recall at least four possible routes to/from the summit, all rejoining at various points lower down.

You got up and back safely; that is all that counts. Anything else is a bonus.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Smurphette » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 8:50 pm

north-north-west wrote:You got up and back safely; that is all that counts. Anything else is a bonus.

This is true! Was more concerned about my navigation skills than anything, thought I might have unintentionally ended up on an old track!
Smurphette
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neben » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm based in the Penguin area for the next couple of months - I've done the local walks like Montgomery and the Gnomon before (and probably will again) but am not confident pushing it too much alone.. what other interesting non-risky walks are local to the NW area?
Neben
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:50 pm

Neben wrote:I'm based in the Penguin area for the next couple of months - I've done the local walks like Montgomery and the Gnomon before (and probably will again) but am not confident pushing it too much alone.. what other interesting non-risky walks are local to the NW area?

Hi Neben,
Plenty around here, but could you clarify what you mean by 'non-risky'? Then I'll throw some ideas into the pot.
I noticed that you're hoping to do the Overland Track in a couple of months, so I guess you'd be expecting to do harder walks than Montgomery and the Gnomon between now and then.
Cheers
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 8:15 pm

Neben wrote:I'm based in the Penguin area for the next couple of months - I've done the local walks like Montgomery and the Gnomon before (and probably will again) but am not confident pushing it too much alone.. what other interesting non-risky walks are local to the NW area?

If you want to start with Day-walks then check StepScape.http://www.cowirrie.com/stepscape/
Click Filter, then Attributes, and you can select any distance minimum and maximum and the Track Grade you want.
Then zoom in near Penguin to find walks in the area that meet the required criteria.
There might be a comment if the walk is considered too risky for some walkers.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Neben » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah I have some experience near cradle and am pretty fit, just I think aspects of the penguin-cradle trail were poorly signed and maintained last time I looked (which was some time ago). I'm pretty conservative when heading out on my own as you never know...

Basically easyish overnight hikes that are clearly signed would be ideal.

And yes, plan on doing quite a bit in the next couple of months & the overland is still just a (doable) idea right now - but something I wouldn't do alone.
Neben
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Neben » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 8:32 pm

anyway took a stroll up montgomery today.. nice weather although the top was in cloud
Neben
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes