Jefferys Track, Wellington Range

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Jefferys Track, Wellington Range

Postby Tortoise » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:39 pm

Toying with doing some walks in the area - does anyone have an idea of the current state of Jefferys Track? Last I read it probably needs more ground clearance than my old Forester has. Thanks
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Jefferys Track, Wellington Range

Postby stepbystep » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:41 pm

Tortoise wrote:Toying with doing some walks in the area - does anyone have an idea of the current state of Jefferys Track? Last I read it probably needs more ground clearance than my old Forester has. Thanks

Yep, you'll need high clearance. It's nicer to walk from Collinsvale to Charles/Patrick etc anyhow...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:56 pm

stepbystep wrote:
Tortoise wrote:Toying with doing some walks in the area - does anyone have an idea of the current state of Jefferys Track? Last I read it probably needs more ground clearance than my old Forester has. Thanks

Yep, you'll need high clearance. It's nicer to walk from Collinsvale to Charles/Patrick etc anyhow...

Thanks, SBS. That was my original plan, which has got a bit more complicated, with moving furniture for friends and staying near Huonville. Ah well, it was worth asking the question. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 9:35 am

Charles and Patrick are easily reachable from Big Bend, if you have concerns about your car . . . ;)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:20 pm

north-north-west wrote:Charles and Patrick are easily reachable from Big Bend, if you have concerns about your car . . . ;)

Not necessarily the car as much as the driver. :oops: I have friends who can do fairly serious 4wd tracks in an old Mazda 323. Mais pas moi.
Thanks for reminding me of the obvious. Went to Trestle from there. I would like to visit Charles and Patrick and their big sister, as it happens. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:28 pm

Trying to remember which one's which. The one to the north (or do I mean west? - to the right if you're heading out from Big Bend) of the track has a fairly good pad most of the way to the high point. The other has a roughly taped route which is trickier to follow but still pretty straightforward for those with any understanding of Tassie bush. It's mainly a matter of finding the right turnoff point. The 'tracked' turn off is close to a major corner, easy to spot.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:42 pm

north-north-west wrote:Trying to remember which one's which. The one to the north (or do I mean west? - to the right if you're heading out from Big Bend) of the track has a fairly good pad most of the way to the high point. The other has a roughly taped route which is trickier to follow but still pretty straightforward for those with any understanding of Tassie bush. It's mainly a matter of finding the right turnoff point. The 'tracked' turn off is close to a major corner, easy to spot.

Thanks, nnw. From what I've read, I need to allow a bit of extra time for the 'roughly taped route' one. Will keep my brain in gear.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 2:45 pm

Regarding Jefferies Track - just have a look on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFgDLBfy8Q

Its pretty horrendous even in a proper 4wd.
I took a mountain bike in and ended up pushing it most of the way. The part from Jefferies Track up into the range was okay.
The bike did make for a quick trip back to the car, which I left pretty much at the start of Jefferies.
But I've also done it from Collins Cap via the fire trails on a bike as well. That is much nicer.

Mt Patrick was just a matter of hunting around for the tapes, the only tricky bit I remember was open section not far from the start where it doesn't go straight ahead, the next tape is left or right a bit... can't remember.
But it was only like 20-30 minutes each way, even if you didn't follow the route it wouldn't take that much longer.
The first time I did Charles and didn't realise about the taped route, it was getting late in the day and I didn't want to get caught out scrub bashing in the dark.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 3:53 pm

Azza wrote:Regarding Jefferies Track - just have a look on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFgDLBfy8Q

Its pretty horrendous even in a proper 4wd.
I took a mountain bike in and ended up pushing it most of the way. The part from Jefferies Track up into the range was okay.
The bike did make for a quick trip back to the car, which I left pretty much at the start of Jefferies.
But I've also done it from Collins Cap via the fire trails on a bike as well. That is much nicer.

Mt Patrick was just a matter of hunting around for the tapes, the only tricky bit I remember was open section not far from the start where it doesn't go straight ahead, the next tape is left or right a bit... can't remember.
But it was only like 20-30 minutes each way, even if you didn't follow the route it wouldn't take that much longer.
The first time I did Charles and didn't realise about the taped route, it was getting late in the day and I didn't want to get caught out scrub bashing in the dark.

Thanks, Azza. Yep, it's a doozy! I don't think even my very clever friends could manage that in the 323! Not sure why my searches didn't come up with that, but thanks. Might see if I can get hold of a mountain bike. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 4:55 pm

It's worth keeping an eye out for the stone hut ruins on Patrick, pretty interesting, very close to the summit pad. I quite enjoyed the walk from Collinsvale. VERY snakey on those fire trails though...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks, SBS. I think it might be a very full day - especially if on foot - but I'll certainly keep those ruins in mind. And Joe Blake. Especially if there's dappled light on the fire trail...and if I have hay fever at the time...and if I don't have a friend to yell "STOP!!!!" when I'm mid-sneeze...3 times. :shock:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 7:12 pm

stepbystep wrote: VERY snakey on those fire trails though...

Yep, I remember nearly walking straight into one of the largest tiger snakes I've ever seen on the East-West trail near the junction with the Collins cap fire trail.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes