WOJ Access

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

WOJ Access

Postby bluetongue » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 9:03 am

A trip into the Walls is on my bucket list. Having only done a short foray in the past via Trappers Hut I'm planning another trip; this time via a different route. The jury is still out as to which one but I have locked in one of the 3 following and am interested to hear experiences from any who may have been on these tracks lately .
1) via the East. a) Is the road access open as far as Lake Ada by relatively high clearance 2wd ? . b) preferred access from Talleh Lagoons - via Lake Fanny or SW by Lake Antimony and Great Pine Tier.
2) via Little Fisher track and Long Tarns, meeting up with Ritters track from Lake Nameless, and then SW to Zion Gate. Any navigation difficulties this route- or the following also?
3) From Lake Mackenzie, via Lake Nameless and 40 Lakes Peak and SW via Ritters Track.

Recent changes ( closures) to Little Fisher access suggest that a few km roadwalk is now the norm. I have not discounted the tried and true access via Trappers Hut, in which case I would like to make this a circuit walk, returning via Lake Ball, northern end of Lake Adelaide and then north via Lake Loane back to Trappers.
I would be very grateful to hear of any pitfalls etc to the above that might require a rethink or require some planning around to make it happen.
Many thanks
bluetongue
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: WOJ Access

Postby johnrs » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi BT
All those routes are good just different
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 9:11 pm

Interesting... we were there just before Xmas, accessing the 'usual' way from the bottom of Lake Rowellan for a 25km run into Mt Jerusalem and Salomon's Throne. Thinking of doing another day run soon and looping around Ball/Adelaide. Certainly the track from Trappers to Wild Dog and into Dixons is about as good as it gets.

I was at Nineteen Lagoons earlier today, all track/roads are open, no worries getting to Ada in a 2WD vehicle... pretty dry up there so heading west shouldn't be too difficult. Can't speak of the actual route itself... but would be keen to know more myself!
headwerkn

Postby footsteps87 » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 10:28 pm

I’d be interested to know which route you ended up taking?
I’m heading into WOJ at the end of the month with my Husband and Dad, we’re intending on leaving from Lake Ada, via Lake Antimony up to Lake Ball into the Walls and then back out via Zion Gate and Lake Fanny.
Will be doing 2 nights so trying to figure out where our best bets are on how far we should aim to get on our first day before we make camp and likewise on the 2nd day.
Also wanting to have a look around the Walls on day 2 before making camp either at Dixon’s Kingdom or beginning our route out of the Walls and camping at Zion Gate somewhere appropriate...and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My dad has done the Walls plenty of times but never from Lake Ada so we’re wanting to take the less travelled access...
footsteps87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes