Du Cane range Xmas.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Du Cane range Xmas.

Postby iaindtiler » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 5:57 pm

FAIL!!!

With the time off work over Xmas, a Du Cane range traverse was the objective. Weather looked good to reasonable, fully packed, and after the drive to Lake St Clair, it was time to board the ferry.
First day objective was Walled Mt, as I had read on here that it is arguably one of the best (if exposed) high camp in Tas. So up the OTand then into Pine Valley. Easy walking and nice scenery in Pine Valley up towards the hut. From the hut the, at times, steep climb up to the Parthenon begins. One small section see you climb up a steep dry creek bed, that in wetter times I imagine would be a fairly free flowing waterfall!! A short walk along the Parthenon then leads to the first view of the amazing , beautiful , Labyrinth. Full of lakes, pines, gums, Fagus , skeleton gums, pandani, rock and others is a feast for the eyes. Working your way through and around the Labyrinth leads to the spur leading up to walled Mt. A steady climb with amazing views of the surroundings leads to banks of pineapple grass nearer the summit. Onwards and upwards and the smaller plateaus nearer the summit revel huge cushion plants, which was a beautiful site. Very shortly after the summit is reached and the views are superb. The Labyrinth below is framed and dominated by The Acropolis and Mt Geryon , an amazing view. To the north(ish) is Mt Hyperion and Du Cane highpoint. Looming over the back and appearing surprisingly close is Mt Ossa and beyond the rest of the Cradle/St Clair NP peaks. To the west the Eldon range dominates with Frenchmans off in the distance and a multitude of other peaks. To the south Mt Gould rises highly with Mt Olypus and Lake St Clair obscured behind. In theory you could camp right on the summit on a few rock shelves, but o decided upon a small flat grassy gully just next to the summit. Again it is full of beautiful, flowering, large cushion plants, but there are a few spots for a tent without damaging the cushion plants. Exposed it is, but the views are truly up there with the best, if not the best, camping in Tas. And it did blow hard that night, but the Scarp1 stood up well enough. And it was that night, first night, that I realised I had forgotten to pack the epirb. So after agonising thoughts and and unpleasant realisation, the rest of the trip was off. Next time!!!!!
A few photos below.
Attachments
x 6.JPG
The Labyrinth
x 6.JPG (496.62 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
z age.JPG
x 3.jpg
Fagus backlight
x 3.jpg (318.44 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
z Cushion plant flowering.JPG
Flowering cushion plants
z Cushion plant flowering.JPG (649.17 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
z exposed camping.JPG
High camp.
z exposed camping.JPG (558.11 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
x 2.jpg
Gould gold
x 2.jpg (348.85 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
x 4.JPG
Frenchman and abels
x 4.JPG (241.5 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
x 1.jpg
Setting sun
x 1.jpg (213.21 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
x 5.JPG
Morning, Eldon range
x 5.JPG (347.37 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
iaindtiler
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Du Cane range Xmas.

Postby iaindtiler » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 6:00 pm

And a panorama from Walled Mt. Labeled for those who haven't been lucky enough to be up in this area.
Attachments
z view from Walled mt.jpg
View from Walled Mt
iaindtiler
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 6:07 am

Wonderful pics. Really lovely!

Unlucky on the mishap! Next time eh!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 2:04 pm

I would have thought that an epirb was one bit of gear that you could do without? After all, its not that long ago when bushwalkers did not have them, and most of the time they did OK. Perhaps you could modify your walking style to minimise risks of accidents and other things like possible snake encounters. Or modify your walk - don't do the traverse of the tops, but spend that days in the Labyrinth or near Lake Helios, or even in Pine Valley? If you had a mobile (cell) phone - then you get quite good reception from the high points and that would be a better option that deploying a beacon in an emergency.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby iaindtiler » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 3:44 pm

You are correct Dave noble, you don't need an epirb to move one leg in front of the other!! Amazingly it happens regardless!! I did spend the next day exploring Labyrinth and Cephissus crk headwaters. I have my reasons for carrying an epirb, and am comfortable with my decision to not carry on.
iaindtiler
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taswegian » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 9:40 am

Beautiful thanks.
Would have been amazing despite your disappointment.
Appreciate your effort in naming the mountains. (probably have a thread just for named skyline peaks?)

Regards epirb I can see both sides, coming from days when there was no such thing, plus being a lone walker I wouldn't have considered such a device necessary.
Then there's others interested in your safety and their concerns.
Plus a range of personal reasons that if carrying one makes you feel more secure, so be it.

The obvious is if a loner and something serious happens that prevents activation then its not much help anyway.
That would be my biggest concern if I was carrying one and I came to grief.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 10:23 am

People didn’t bother with car airbags 40 years ago... doesn’t mean you shouldn’t bother now though!

Good on you for making a smart decision.

Have you tried a paper or electronic checklist for your trips? Might save the same thing next time around, I’ve always used one and never come unstuck.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby iaindtiler » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 3:57 pm

I have learnt my lesson with regards to a checklist . . . from now on. And as Taswegian said , the epirb is not just for me, but the peace of mind of family and friends. Just means i have to head back up that way again . . .gladly.
iaindtiler
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes