Scotts Road query

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Scotts Road query

Postby Chris » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 1:51 pm

Hoping to do Mother Cummings from Scotts Roads again soon. Last time I drove in was August 2014, and I thought then that next time we should use 4WD.
Does anyone who has been up there recently have any thoughts on the current state of the road?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Scotts Road query

Postby Tortoise » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 4:15 pm

Chris wrote:Hoping to do Mother Cummings from Scotts Roads again soon. Last time I drove in was August 2014, and I thought then that next time we should use 4WD.
Does anyone who has been up there recently have any thoughts on the current state of the road?

Hi Chris,
Just wondering if you mean Smoko Rd near Mother Cummings rather than Scotts Rd at Mole Creek?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 4:31 pm

We went up there yesterday and stopped at a large puddle across the road about 1.8km up. The edges were a bit soft, so being supercautious we decided not to continue. You could probably get a 2WD through the water and a 4WD would have no trouble. The road is rough but not a problem to that point. We were not planning on a 5km walk with 350m climb, so I can't say what the road condition is after that.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Chris » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:01 pm

Tortoise wrote:Just wondering if you mean Smoko Rd near Mother Cummings rather than Scotts Rd at Mole Creek?

No Tortoise it's the approach beyond Meander. Not aiming for MC Peak. This just goes up to the plateau - a lovely area, particularly appealing for those of us who don't enjoy lots of rock scrambling :)

Thanks MrWalker. Sadly that does sound a bit too challenging with the vehicles we have available for this trip. One to look forward to another day.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes