Desktop version
Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.

Forum rules

Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.
Post a reply

Saddleback summit

Mon 03 Dec, 2018 12:13 pm

Gday,

I knocked off 4 Abels on the weekend. :) Saddleback, Victoria, Albert and Ben Nevis. Of note was the Saddleback summit. Near the summit I found myself doing some bigger than expected climbs while following tape. On the way back I followed the cairns and was taken around this area. So, If you are on your way up and you start having to haul yourself up rocks a few hundred meters (ish) before the summit, stop, go back 50m or so and look for cairns/flagging to the right of where you were climbing. You will essentially contour around the outcrop.

Someone with more authority than me might remove that erroneous flagging.

Cheers
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Map of area

Re: Saddleback summit

Mon 03 Dec, 2018 12:44 pm

More and more tracks are becoming littered with obnoxious tape. The more I see it the more it really annoys me.

Re: Saddleback summit

Sun 16 Dec, 2018 12:51 am

I revisited Saddleback this year in better weather for the views...

I remember seeing a stray set of rock cairns in the scree field near the start. Curiosity and time on the hands, followed these to only end up in some scrub that lead to nowhere...

I too also noticed the tape issues and climbing over some unfamiliar boulders, fun boulders to climb, but not the way to go...

ILUVSWTAS wrote:The more I see it the more it really annoys me.
I second that, I'm sure everyone will
Post a reply