3rd Anniversary Bush 'Bash' Photos and Reports [merged]

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

3rd Anniversary Bush 'Bash' Photos and Reports [merged]

Postby geoskid » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 8:44 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Thanks to everyone who has registered their preferences for dates and locations for our 3rd Anniversary Bush 'Bash'* in March this year. The dates are now confirmed according the vast majority of preferences as:
Friday the 12th of March to Sunday the 14th of March, 2010
The location is now confirmed after a tie in the punters preferences as:
Fergy's Paddock (on the edge of Lake St Clair, 10 minutes walk from Cynthia Bay)

The confirmed plans have also been posted to the meetup tool where they will be kept up to date, to save people the need to keep trawling through this topic.

Come for one night or two, or even just for a day, any time from Friday 12th March to Sunday 14th March.

No doubt there will be at least one day walk undertaken from the Fergy's Paddock base camp by some of the punters. Some of the many possible day walks from there include:
  • Echo Point
  • Shadow Lake and Forgotten Lake
  • Little Hugel
  • Mt Rufus

*No actual bush-bashing is expected on this walk.

Note that all of the notes from the 'rules' section of the 'Find Walking Companions' forum applies to this walk. In particular...

WARNING: This site, including its administrators, moderators and members, cannot take responsibility for the character or behaviour of anyone you meet using this or any forum, no matter what their rank, membership status, or any other quality that may appear in the forums. Keep in mind that some people may deliberately use the internet, including these forums, to give a false impression of themselves in order to gain your trust. It is entirely your own responsibility to establish the trustworthiness of anyone you choose to walk with, whether you meet them here or anywhere else.

WARNING: This site is not a walking club, and any walks arranged using this forum or any other page are entirely the responsibility of the individual walkers. Each walker is entirely responsible for themselves and should plan to walk independently, even if walking with other people. Any cooperation between individuals is entirely the responsibility of those individuals, and should be clearly communicated between themselves, and has nothing to do with this site's administration and moderation team. No element of cooperation should be assumed.

WARNING: Walkers under the age of 18 who are not accompanied by their parents or legal guardians, and anyone else walking with such people, would do well to discuss legal responsibilities with the under 18's parents or legal guardians, so that all parties understand what expectations and responsibilities are in place. It is up to each individual to make their own arrangements, and no responsibilities should be assumed without explicit agreement.

In particular, for this walk: I am merely informing members of a walk I'm planning to do, independently, in the hope that some of you will meet me there, walking and camping independently. Each person must take full responsibility for their own walk, and make all of their own arrangements. This is not an official Bushwalk Tasmania activity, but merely my own personal way of celebrating the site's anniversary. BWT takes no responsibility for anyone on this walk or any others.

My apologies for being a no show, I bet I missed a great event.
I had a go on my sons Ripstick at the Ulverstone Skate Park last W/end and came a cropper at the bottom of a mound - spent a couple of days on crutches as a result. Thought it best to rest it this W/end. That will teach me to act my age :(
Hope you all had a lot of fun :D
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: 3rd Anniversary Bush 'Bash' - Plans

Postby flyfisher » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 7:49 pm

Well, I wasn't able to make the camp but did make it to the pub at Derwent bridge for a few drinks and an excellent meal.
It was an enjoyable 3 hours or so with good food and interesting wait staff. :wink:
Present were corvus, brett, pomysi, sthughes,flyfisher and mrs flyfisher.
Unfortunately ther was a large bennets wallaby that suicided into the passengers front door of my vehicle after hitting the front bumper
and smashing a fog light. That's fixable but unfortunately he wasn't. :( .Only driving slowly too. :(
Nice to meet up with Dan too, another face to a name. :D
Last edited by flyfisher on Sun 14 Mar, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Speculator » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 9:04 pm

flyfisher wrote:Well, I wasn't able to make the camp but did make it to the pub at Derwent bridge for a few drinks and an excellent meal.
It was an enjoyable 3 hours or so with good food and interesting wait staff. :wink:
Unfortunately ther was a large bennets wallaby that suicided into the passengers front door of my vehicle after hitting the front bumper
and smashing a fog light. That's fixable but unfortunately he wasn't. :( .Only driving slowly too. :(

Sorry to hear about the damage to your vehicle FF. Also, sorry I couldn't make it out to the pub to say hello. Someone had to stay back at camp and keep the singing going though! ;)

Thanks to all for coming along this weekend. I has a great time, enjoyed my stroll around the shadow lake circuit, glad I piked on the Rufus walk this morning though, much needed to be done when I got home!

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby corvus » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 10:03 pm

flyfisher wrote:Well, I wasn't able to make the camp but did make it to the pub at Derwent bridge for a few drinks and an excellent meal.
Nice to meet up with Dan too, another face to a name. :D

Jeez John,
How many Chinamen did you kill :(
Thank you and Jeune for making the effort (just goes to prove you are really a BWT Stroller ) one of the few who fronted :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Taurë-rana » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 10:14 pm

So, who's going to do the trip report? I was there in spirit, does that count? Stood on top of Mt Montgomery and wondered how the 'Bash' was going. I was on parenting duties most of the weekend.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Speculator » Mon 15 Mar, 2010 9:07 am

Didn't take many photos this time (apparently I was in a lazy mood). Here's what I did take though:

http://tinyurl.com/ydqoafq

L8r allig8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby stepbystep » Mon 15 Mar, 2010 9:17 am

Great weather, good company, too much wine....
Will post a bit of a report on Sunday's walk later.
You'd have to say conditions were reasonable for a paddle in the lake Saturday, see pic.
Thanks to Joe for bringing Kayak's a real highlight.
Attachments
Paddle St Clair small.jpg
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 15 Mar, 2010 9:20 am

kramster wrote:
stepbystep wrote:Also what's the possibility of Rufus-Hugel-Little Hugel return in a day, anybody done this?

I was up at Lake St Clair over the long weekend just past (camping at Lk Oenone and summiting Mt Olympus - which was amazing to say the least).

It might be old news, but I was unaware that the track from Rufus summit to Shadow Lake is currently closed (which means that if you want to climb Mt Rufus, you have to do a return journey, and not a circiut).
When I did it (about 5 yrs ago), this was one of the most picturesque bits... would be interesting to know if it will be fixed anytime soon.
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=1558

I spoke to the ranger yesterday morning, and he says they're doing maintenance on the track this month, and again in May, and hope to have it opened again some time later this year.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Bushwalk Tasmania 3rd Anniversary Bush Bash (photos?)

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 15 Mar, 2010 2:30 pm

14 of us had a great time camping at Fergies Paddock, at Lake St Clair for our 3rd Anniversary meet up (16 people if you add the extra 2 that met some of the group for dinner at the Derwent Bridge pub). I enjoyed meeting some members I'd not seen before, and also had a very pleasant (and very short) daywalk around the Platypus Bay track with my 3 year old daughter.

The weather was brilliant for the entire 3 days there, and Fergy's Paddock was a great location with a decent beach and easy access to the lake.

I was very proud to be accompanied by my entire family including our 1 year old and 3 year old daughters. They've been on a few bushwalks with us before, including 2 overnighters, but this was their first time sleeping in a tent, so we were relieved that they enjoyed it. On the Sunday morning, my daughter asked me if we could stay there an extra night, so that confirmed to me that they really did have a good time, and that we'd done the right thing by them.

I really enjoy meeting up with people from the forums, so these events have been a lot of fun. As an admin, it's also a great reminder that behind each forum name is a real person. There are a few people that attended whom I've moderated substantially on the forums at times and with whom forums discussion has gotten somewhat heated, and it's great that we can avoid taking it to heart and are still able to meet up and all enjoy each others company.

It sure is a different kind of bushwalking trip, though. I usually go walking for a wilderness experience, and this was really more for the social interaction, with just a tiny bit of wilderness thrown in on the side. :-) Thankfully, I'd just finished 5 days on the Overland Track, including one moderately remote wilderness camp site, so I got my wilderness bushwalking done earlier in the week, and we'd not managed our usual family camping trip this summer, so this became our substitute for that as well.

We didn't get many pictures on the weekend, so if anyone has any photos they can post, or any other comments to add, please post them here. In particular, if anyone has any pictures of my kids camping, I'd be very grateful of any full size images you can email to me (envelope icon to the right of this post). :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Bushwalk Tasmania 3rd Anniversary Bush Bash (photos?)

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 15 Mar, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the update, NIk, I was disappointed not to be able to go, both to catch up with members I've met before and meet the members I haven't met. Maybe I'll get to the 4th anniversary!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joe » Tue 16 Mar, 2010 8:08 pm

I have a few pics...tomorrow night I will try and get them up. Its all been said by nik pretty much, but thanks to all that came, I had a ball. So much so that I plan to repeat the trip with my wife and paddle the lake again very soon.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Joe » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 8:10 pm

http://picasaweb.google.com/aloysius7/StClair2010#

Didnt take too many pics...and quite a few of the low light ones taken in kayak were blurry....hard combination to master that.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 8:22 am

Joe wrote:http://picasaweb.google.com/aloysius7/StClair2010#

Didnt take too many pics...and quite a few of the low light ones taken in kayak were blurry....hard combination to master that.

Hey, that fish was yummy!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:27 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Hey, that fish was yummy!

I second that! Thanks for your contribution to a great weekend...

TR
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 1:10 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:14 of us had a great time camping at Fergies Paddock, at Lake St Clair for our 3rd Anniversary meet up (16 people if you add the extra 2 that met some of the group for dinner at the Derwent Bridge pub). . :-)

Hey, we kinda, sorta boost numbers! We (11 of us) met up with Brett and Corvus at lunch on Saturday... Two of us are forum members, guess the rest could be 'honorary' :wink:
Looks like another good show, lotsa fun... Shame about those southerners... shy retiring types they seem :lol: I see there was even a Victorian :shock: that found 'the place to be' :D
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Julafreak » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 4:22 pm

Im from the south! so is stepbystep.. =)
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kramster » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 4:28 pm

I was there a week earlier... thats got to count for something too :p
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pomysi » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks for a great weekend, here are a couple of pic from my little used camera.

Special Thanks to Joe for the use of the Kayak, Awesome!
Attachments
DSCN2508.JPG
The Big Fella
DSCN2506.JPG
View to Frenchmans from Rufus
DSCN2499.JPG
Yours Truely
pomysi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 2:28 pm

Wow Si, you can use a camera :shock:

Might be a bit belated but he's a few extras:
Kayaking on Saturday - I spent some time watching this Platypus, actually got close enough to touch it for a while on two occasions, very cool animal!

Umm thing in kayak?

Lake St. Clair

Lake St. Clair Dam

Lake St. Clair Pumphouse

Pumphouse & Cynthia Bay in the distance

Sunday sunrise

Flying Rat (liked my crumpets a bit too much!)

Image00001.jpg
Near the Mount Rufus Summit

Image00002.jpg
On the Mt Rufus Summit

The days 'Strollers' on top of Rufus

Brett & Pomysi take in some views and some health food.

Not a bad day for pictures!

Decending the Mountain
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Julafreak » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 2:41 pm

Great shots! Thanks guys.
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes